Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just ordered a Fusion Sport as she wants to get back into the drag racing game - What I cannot believe is that the car is only just under 14 sec stock - I have a 2016 standard cab F150 with the 2.7 - It ran a 13.94 dead stock and it weighs just over 4600lbs - It now has a tune, bigger intercooler, custom duel exhaust and a roush CAI and it averages 13.5 with the best time of 13.25 (see F150 forum for time slips) Of course she will have it tuned when they become available and do other minor mods - but based on curb weight, hp and torque that car should be about 13.6 or better stock - anyone have any input.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Plenty of input across multiple threads. I'll by dynoing the car in the very near future if I can get all of the people that said they would tip in to send over the funds.

Once we get some real world numbers, we can see what the deal is.

Look at the 0-60 and 0-100 threads.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My wife just ordered a Fusion Sport as she wants to get back into the drag racing game - What I cannot believe is that the car is only just under 14 sec stock - I have a 2016 standard cab F150 with the 2.7 - It ran a 13.94 dead stock and it weighs just over 4600lbs - It now has a tune, bigger intercooler, custom duel exhaust and a roush CAI and it averages 13.5 with the best time of 13.25 (see F150 forum for time slips) Of course she will have it tuned when they become available and do other minor mods - but based on curb weight, hp and torque that car should be about 13.6 or better stock - anyone have any input.
What MPH did you run in the F150 stock?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also if the car gets delivered by late sept - I will have time to take it to NE Dragway for a few runs - I have over 30 years experience in drag racing so I should be able to provide some good data - Of course by then the air will be cool and that will make a big difference in the time. The 2.7 ecoboost is extremely sensitive to heat and will heat soak on you very fast- that is why I put a Wagner aftermarket big intercooler in the truck. I am also sure that to get the best times you will to brake boost the launch and based on where ford says it reaches max torque I would say at least 2500rpm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts exactly - let me see what it does at the track in early Oct - Based on my experience that car should be about 13.6 at 101 stock - and with a tune and some other minor mods in the high 12 at about 105 - On a couple of reasons for this not happening - Sift points are off, HP and Torque overrated (do not believe since it is the same engine as my truck) it has a non aggressive ecu set up , not being driven to its potential - run in hot humid conditions which will can cost you as much as a 1/2 sec
As I said I have been doing this for quite a while so before I jump to any conclusions let me run the car at the track - that is the true test much better than dyno results.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My thoughts exactly - let me see what it does at the track in early Oct - Based on my experience that car should be about 13.6 at 101 stock - and with a tune and some other minor mods in the high 12 at about 105 - On a couple of reasons for this not happening - Sift points are off, HP and Torque overrated (do not believe since it is the same engine as my truck) it has a non aggressive ecu set up , not being driven to its potential - run in hot humid conditions which will can cost you as much as a 1/2 sec
As I said I have been doing this for quite a while so before I jump to any conclusions let me run the car at the track - that is the true test much better than dyno results.

Any reason you think a vehicle 500 lbs lighter than your truck should only trap 1 MPH faster?
What was the air like when you trapped 100, just curious?

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I, as well as a few others, suspect the Sport has a digital sandbag for self preservation. While i was crawling around underneath it, i observed the drivetrain components to the rear wheels. the driveshaft is easily 1 inch or less in diameter in some spots. i suspect the f-150 has a heavier drive train, and thus, doesnt have the same factory protections. Plus the f150 has a traditional drivetrain rather than relying on the computer to tell it when to send power to the rear.

With the better gearing, solid driveline, and what i suspect is a more aggressive (or less protective?) tune, i wouldn't be surprised if the f-150 is nearly as fast as a stock Sport. i watched a video of an eco f-150 layin a smackdown on the street.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I, as well as a few others, suspect the Sport has a digital sandbag for self preservation. While i was crawling around underneath it, i observed the drivetrain components to the rear wheels. the driveshaft is easily 1 inch or less in diameter in some spots. i suspect the f-150 has a heavier drive train, and thus, doesnt have the same factory protections. Plus the f150 has a traditional drivetrain rather than relying on the computer to tell it when to send power to the rear.

With the better gearing, solid driveline, and what i suspect is a more aggressive (or less protective?) tune, i wouldn't be surprised if the f-150 is nearly as fast as a stock Sport. i watched a video of an eco f-150 layin a smackdown on the street.
Does the rear drive-line appear beefier than the 2.0 AWD?
If not, you could be on to something. The sport, as advertised, is priced
just too low to deliver everything it promised.

The other thing I hope someone is able to tune eventually is the suspension. I would like to
see heavy turn-in or slalom like driving, be able to turn the struts into steel rods,
instantaneously, giving you the feeling of a go-cart, yet the other 99% of the time
feel like my 2.0. Would have liked to see a separate suspension switch on console
(no menus to go through, just a real button being immediately accessible), instantly
providing this type of active suspension, without changing anything else.

Forget the pothole stuff, just give me the ride quality of your average
fusion (which is really nice), right up until I drive aggressively. I feel this could have
been done virtually for free with all the sensors on the car already (steering wheel sensors,
crash G-sensors, etc..). This is something no other car has, upwards of double (++) the price.
Forget 0-60 or 1/4 mile, what a coo ford could have had.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It might trap higher but since it should have a better 60ft time (lighter to launch) may be close - as for trapping 100 it has consistently done that especially since I have the bigger intercooler - the tune gave me better 60 ft and 1/8th mile - since you have to launch and run in 4H you run out of HP at the back end but your et is better

·
Registered
331 Posts
So here's the million dollar question... When can we get a driveshaft upgrade, a transmission upgrade (with proper gearing), and a tune all together? Reliably putting 375 to the wheels would be amazing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did some more research - since the wife just ordered the car - the biggest difference between my truck 3.55 gears and the Sport 3.13 gears - now it is making a little more sense - I can get off the line faster - have more aggressive shift points etc etc with the truck - and yes right now my truck will kick a fusion sports butt - having said that give me 6 months with the fusion or when the SCT tunes come out and then we can play.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
im not entirely sure the driveshaft is really an issue. im sure its perfectly capable of handling anything the rear tires can. it was just an observation i pointed out as a potential factor, even tho its probably not. When you think about how much power a small axel shaft can put down, i wouldnt worry much about the driveshaft.

·
Registered
331 Posts
im not entirely sure the driveshaft is really an issue. im sure its perfectly capable of handling anything the rear tires can. it was just an observation i pointed out as a potential factor, even tho its probably not. When you think about how much power a small axel shaft can put down, i wouldnt worry much about the driveshaft.
Possibility, though it would still be cool to see some upgrade options for people that want stupid-powerful builds.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Possibility, though it would still be cool to see some upgrade options for people that want stupid-powerful builds.
No doubt, but i think anyone wanting more power than the stock drivetrain can handle will be looking at custom jobs. I find it unlikely that there will be enough of a market to make such upgrades available as mainstream offerings.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just did some more research - since the wife just ordered the car - the biggest difference between my truck 3.55 gears and the Sport 3.13 gears - now it is making a little more sense - I can get off the line faster - have more aggressive shift points etc etc with the truck - and yes right now my truck will kick a fusion sports butt - having said that give me 6 months with the fusion or when the SCT tunes come out and then we can play.
3.55 gearing with 17% larger dia tire is still less overall gear (assuming 6th gears the same). Fusion only has a 26.4 dia tire, vs almost a 32 for 150's (31.9 anyway, unless you get 20's, then 31.6).............

1 - 20 of 87 Posts