Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some very positive news for a change: I ran the sport at NE Dragway in great air tonight - just made 2 runs as it was crowded

The car has a Livernois V1 Tune : Here are the numbers and I will post the slip tomorrow with some details and reasons I think for the improved times: We still have a ways to go - back end still slow and shift points could be better but I now feel that a mid 12 sec car is absolutely in the future with better tires and improved tune.

Bottom line: Best Run---1/4 ET 13.05 Trap Speed 105.14 60 Ft 1.879

The other run was 13.2 with a trap of 104.07 60 ft 1.95 - had a issue on the launch with some wheel hop on this run or it would have been the same or better than the first.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Some very positive news for a change: I ran the sport at NE Dragway in great air tonight - just made 2 runs as it was crowded

The car has a Livernois V1 Tune : Here are the numbers and I will post the slip tomorrow with some details and reasons I think for the improved times: We still have a ways to go - back end still slow and shift points could be better but I now feel that a mid 12 sec car is absolutely in the future with better tires and improved tune.

Bottom line: Best Run---1/4 ET 13.05 Trap Speed 105.14 60 Ft 1.879

The other run was 13.2 with a trap of 104.07 60 ft 1.95 - had a issue on the launch with some wheel hop on this run or it would have been the same or better than the first.
Very nice, did ya get it on video?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
@[email protected]; did you see the white mazdaspeed there? He's one of the top tuners we had in the mazda community. He's tuning the ST's with Cobb software. I'm gonna try to get him to work on my car one Cobb releases the software

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
heat soak after 2 runs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice times! Interested to see your update to know what rpm you were launching at...

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
63 Posts
@[email protected]; did you see the white mazdaspeed there? He's one of the top tuners we had in the mazda community. He's tuning the ST's with Cobb software. I'm gonna try to get him to work on my car one Cobb releases the software
I assume you are referring to [email protected]? Would be nice to have some other vendors who know the ecoboosts potential!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First I could not post the slip - said file too large - I will try to scan later - but I did put it on Facebook and sent it to Livernois:

One reason for the much better time is the way I drove the car and great air:

1. after some practice I realized that you need to roll into the throttle at launch rather that WOT - it performs a lot better - after launch then keep it on the floor: Launch RPM is subject to track conditions: Track was pretty good last night - 2500 worked perfect 3000 gave me wheel hop -
2. I am not sure if another reason might be the car adjusted to the tune over 10 days
3. The car had 1400 miles on it versus 930 last week when it turned 13.49
4. 1/2 a second and 5 mph better is a lot -

So far I think only 2 of us have run the car 1/4 mile on this forum - I hope some others will get some times - I will be talking to Livernois today and hope to have a V2 of the tune before the end of the season - but when the tune is improved, for those of you that are serious about this, you are going to have to think about better tires and maybe some minor suspension mods - I learned from my Mustang all the power in the world is no good without traction.
Please feel free to PM me if you would like further information

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's a solid set of runs. Great potential to have a monster sleeper.

Your observation of throttle roll in is exactly what I've experienced. It seems to respond more consistent when you don't romp on her pedals. Mashing the pedal to the floor with modern cars doesn't always yield the same results of cars from the past.

I'm hoping to get out in the spring

·
Registered
230 Posts
1. after some practice I realized that you need to roll into the throttle at launch rather that WOT - it performs a lot better - after launch then keep it on the floor:
I'm new to all of this. Can you please describe this technique? A little detail on the timing used would be great.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That's the only way I can launch when Im running my DD street tires. I just go about 1/2 throttle for the first 60ft and then start rolling into wot after that. It helps minimize tire spin it keeps TC from kicking in if you don't have it shut off.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you do your runs with sport mode on or off? With the LMS tune, I can't tell if the shift points are better or worse with sport mode on.

Interesting to hear about the WOT vs less throttle and glad you confirm what I have been suspecting. I've been driving around by myself and the car has great pull. Then my girl gets in the car and I try to make her wet by flooring it and the car makes a lot of noise but pulls less. She doesn't weigh THAT much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's a solid set of runs. Great potential to have a monster sleeper.

Your observation of throttle roll in is exactly what I've experienced. It seems to respond more consistent when you don't romp on her pedals. Mashing the pedal to the floor with modern cars doesn't always yield the same results of cars from the past.

I'm hoping to get out in the spring
it's funny that you say that because I always felt that my focus ST 'felt' faster when rolling into the throttle... but assumed it was in my head. I've noticed it on the Fusion as well

Its interesting that you actually noted a difference too

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reactions: Donjohnk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK - Sport Mode on but not sure if it makes a difference - Traction Control off

Once Staged: Brake Boost to 2500 rpm (this rpm will depend on track temp and condition naturally)

I like just after 2nd yellow for launch - release brake and go to floor with throttle fast but under control - here is good explanation - think you are at a light - look in the rear view mirror and see a truck coming fast - if too fast to floor spin if too slow not good either - once on the floor and leave it there until trap - takes practice and knowing your car - Drag racing is like anything else - practice, understanding track conditions and knowing how your car responds -

one thing I miss most about manual is the fun of shifting even tho you will get beat most of the time by auto ---- I am in the process of looking for a project car with manual -

1 - 20 of 28 Posts