Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Edge Sport is 0.6 sec faster to 100.

The Accord V6 sedan is almost a second faster.

·
Registered
331 Posts
He's also doing that on a cold engine... With 125 miles on it.

Need to find out if there's any truth to the "mandatory 2k break-in".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's also doing that on a cold engine... With 125 miles on it.

Need to find out if there's any truth to the "mandatory 2k break-in".
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that the engine was not properly warmed up based on the evidence in that video.

The owners manual recommends a 1k break in.

There were people on the Edge Sport Facebook pages that had ~500 miles on the odo running 14.2 to 14.5's stock. So that ECU/PCM cuts the power idea seems fanciful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that the engine was not properly warmed up based on the evidence in that video.

The owners manual recommends a 1k break in.

There were people on the Edge Sport Facebook pages that had ~500 miles on the odo running 14.2 to 14.5's stock. So that ECU/PCM cuts the power idea seems fanciful.
The temp line on the gauge is barely above the "C" line. The Edge Sport, while sharing the same engine, is not the same vehicle. There's an entire thread on the 0-60 issues with the Fusion Sport. The Accord currently ties the 0-60 speed and 1/4 mile time, and it's got 60 fewer HP's and no AWD. There's clearly something not 100% with the FuSpo yet, and nobody has been able to determine why.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The temp line on the gauge is barely above the "C" line. The Edge Sport, while sharing the same engine, is not the same vehicle. There's an entire thread on the 0-60 issues with the Fusion Sport. The Accord currently ties the 0-60 speed and 1/4 mile time, and it's got 60 fewer HP's and no AWD. There's clearly something not 100% with the FuSpo yet, and nobody has been able to determine why.
Again, I don't have any reference as to what the temp gauge should read once the engine hits proper operating temperature. Maybe it only gets to "barely above C".

My mention of the Edge Sport was in regards to the notion that Ford has some kind of ECU programming logic that applies a break in tune to the engine. Then when the ECU reads that the engine has hit 2k it switches the engine over to a different tune. The cost to develop something like this vs. its benefit seems prohibitive. The Edge Sport's did just fine performance wise with low mileage and did not get significantly faster once reaching the one, two, etc. thousand mile marks.

Maybe the Fusion Sport will tie the much heavier and lower powered Edge Sport once it is broken in.

Yes, I am well aware, I started the 0-60 thread and have been disappointed since I saw the video..........

·
Registered
183 Posts
The temp line on the gauge is barely above the "C" line.
The line you see right above the "C" is part of the scale/graphics. The actual gauge line in this video is sitting much higher, overlapping with the coolant temperature icon. At least that's what I'm seeing in this, and a few other videos that he posted.

Here is a better view of it:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Still, that's just coolant temperature, and it's most likely a dummy gauge that is programmed to park itself in the middle of the scale, as to not draw attention to itself unless the coolant temp really starts to go much higher or much lower than what Ford would consider "normal". Personally, I'd be more interested in actual oil temperature. Does anyone know if there is an ability to display oil temp through one of the configurable displays/menus in this car?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The temp gauge does register the coolant temp, when I've been driving around it's just below center and when it's been shutoff for a couple of hours it drops to about 1/4 of the way; I'm assuming that when its been sitting overnight it'll be at the bottom of the range. It would be nice if it had number values but it's still better than a warning light. Its definitely not a dummy gauge.

Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm really curious what an instrumented road test will produce. So far these seem to have stopwatch or GPS timed so they could be way off.

Ken

·
Registered
331 Posts
The line you see right above the "C" is part of the scale/graphics. The actual gauge line in this video is sitting much higher, overlapping with the coolant temperature icon. At least that's what I'm seeing in this, and a few other videos that he posted.

Here is a better view of it:

Yeah I didnt' see that angle when I was watching it... At the beginning the only line you can see is the one for the cold marker. My mistake!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This guy is an f'n idiot for doing this on the street with a dealer stock car.. I hope he gets fired.
Absolutely. Even worse is that he did not even let the car warm up first. The fact that the dealer would let him treat a car like this puts them on my **** list for future reference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Absolutely. Even worse is that he did not even let the car warm up first. The fact that the dealer would let him treat a car like this puts them on my **** list for future reference.
You guys realize that everyone that test drives that car is going to do the same right? And the car was warmed up. AutoVlog, while a bit obnoxious, posts quite a few videos, has 10k subscribers and probably brings a bit of traffic into the dealership he works for. At least he took it upon himself to test the car out a bit since C&D/MT and the like have yet to say a peep about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys realize that everyone that test drives that car is going to do the same right? And the car was warmed up. AutoVlog, while a bit obnoxious, posts quite a few videos, has 10k subscribers and probably brings a bit of traffic into the dealership he works for. At least he took it upon himself to test the car out a bit since C&D/MT and the like have yet to say a peep about it.
The dealer I buy my cars from would never allow anyone to treat the car like that. Of course traffic congestion is so bad that you would be lucky to get a straight shot up the highway on ramp before getting stuck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The dealer I buy my cars from would never allow anyone to treat the car like that. Of course traffic congestion is so bad that you would be lucky to get a straight shot up the highway on ramp before getting stuck.
Fair enough, your dealer sounds like a great guy. So hes a car salesman thats literally 1 in a million. But does your dealer control what happens once that car rolls of the line? What happens during testing? What happens when it's being loaded onto a train/truck? Or when it gets off a train/truck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fair enough, your dealer sounds like a great guy. So hes a car salesman thats literally 1 in a million. But does your dealer control what happens once that car rolls of the line? What happens during testing? What happens when it's being loaded onto a train/truck? Or when it gets off a train/truck?
I was actually at the dealer while someone's blue Sport rolled off the truck. They allowed me to get in and take a spin around the lot but not the street. The dash kept displaying that the car was in transporter mode which I have no clue about.

I do know they tend to be cautious when letting performance cars out on a test drive, but there would be uncertainty as they do allow established customers to go out alone.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Regarding the break-in, the only thing my manual says is that the TIRES need to be broken in before towing... In any case, a bit of spirited driving isn't going to hurt a new engine as long as it's warmed up. Its prolonged heavy usage that will cause extreme temps and potential damage that you need to worry about. Some engine builders break engines in by running them flat out on the dyno, so I don't think there is anything to worry about with a few drags down the street as long as you change the break-in oil in a reasonable time. I plan to change it at 500 miles, then again at 2000, then assume normal intervals.

As for the temp gauge, it works just like a regular temp gauge in any other car that has a gauge.

I don't know how accurate my GPS speedview app is, but I got a 5 second flat 0-60 this morning when in 72 degree temps. I'm confident this is at least a 5 second 0-60 car. If I were really serious about getting the fastest time possible I would take all the crap out of the car including the spare and give the tranny time to learn. I bet I could get a legit 4.8 0-60 or better.

I hope to get to the local 1/8 mile track soon so I can get some real numbers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
One other note regarding the dealers. I have yet to be told how to drive by a dealer. I was the first person in Omaha to drive the 5.0 mustang when it showed up and the salesman said with glee after the drive, "Well that's the fastest I've ever gone in a car."

From my experience, most guys want to go fast. They are usually too scared, or not allowed, but they are happy to let me do it for them. :p I drove a friends 302 Boss, and he also told me that was the hardest his car had been driven yet.

Disclaimer: I am a trained emergency vehicle operator, and do not drive any cars in an unsafe manner. I drive fast, not reckless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts