Let's Talk Car Covers - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Let's Talk Car Covers

So I just did the math in my first two months of Sport ownership, I have averaged 8.6 mi per day. I Don't own a garage and am sick of washing the car every time I want to drive it.

Anyone using a car cover either for their Sport, or for other cars? Custom fit or universal?

I checked WeatherTech, and they want $530, dang that's a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:03 PM

Garage
Don't, they scratch the heck out of your paint.

Look into a waterless wash like meguiars ultimate wash and wax anywhere or the pro version. It will take 10 minutes to wipe down the car

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2881 View Post
So I just did the math in my first two months of Sport ownership, I have averaged 8.6 mi per day. I Don't own a garage and am sick of washing the car every time I want to drive it.

Anyone using a car cover either for their Sport, or for other cars? Custom fit or universal?

I checked WeatherTech, and they want $530, dang that's a lot.

Hi Fusion2881. A top quality car cover, like the Covercraft WeatherShield model will not scratch your paint (I've used it) if used properly: https://www.carcoverworld.com/coverc...ield-car-cover

First, shop around for price. However, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. A cheap cover will scratch your paint and do more damage than good. Spend the money for the best or don't get one.

Keep in mind though that putting it on and off every day can become a pain. And it won't protect your car if you get tired of putting it on and taking it off. So be sure you'll stick with using it. And you still need to wash and wax your car regularly. You don't want to put a clean cover on a dirty car, because then you'll be putting a dirty cover on a clean car next time you wash and wax. And pulling it on and off a dirty car can scratch the paint.

It is really a personal decision. I've use the Covercraft Weathershield model and been very happy with it. They also have other models to fit your particular usage. Check out the outdoor rated covers and see what you like: https://www.carcoverworld.com/outdoor-car-covers

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

EDIT - I just checked the Covercraft site I linked to above. The model I have would be the equivalent of the current "Weathershield HP" model. Then there is a Weathershield HD model. There was only a single "Weathershield" model when I purchased mine.

Last edited by bbf2530; 08-02-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Add my cover model information.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Garage
I use the Ford Accessories / CoverCraft one - got it for $170. It's not the softest, but it's far from the worst thing that'll touch the paint. Not sure if that one is outdoor rated, tho.

Mine's garaged, but it's a shared garage so mine gets covered in garbage when I don't drive it for a while (and touched by nosey neighbors) since I don't drive it in the snow/rain. So, I'd rather risk the very slightly dulled clear coat in small spots than leave it uncovered for the winter months. I don't cover it during summer, tho (to keep from scratching).

If you'll be taking the cover on and off regularly, then I agree it's better to just keep it waxed. Frequently putting on / taking off the cover is definitely going to give you micro scratches (especially if you don't wash or wipe down the car before covering it every time).

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Garage
It's not the cover that scratches the paint but the stuff that was on the car before putting the cover on and things blown up under the cover that grind the paint everytime the cover moves from the wind or removal.

Get a gallon jug of meguiars D115 rinse free Express wash and wax, a garden spray bottle and a bunch of micro fiber clothes.

If I keep up with it, I can do my whole case in 10 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Going to skip cover, thanks guys.

I am going to check out further the D115 and similar. My biggest concern is more junk builds up every week day than I can safely use a waterless wash for. It scares me to wipe dirt across the car.

Last edited by Fusion2881; 08-05-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page