Took my 2017 FFS for a road trip - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Took my 2017 FFS for a road trip

I got back the other day from a roughly 1000 mile road trip from So. Cal to Queen Creek AZ. Overall mileage for the trip was 25 MPG on regular gas on a stock 2017. My best MPG was on the way back from Queen Creek to the AZ/CA border where I got 27.3 MPG (This is reported via the Trip/Fuel Economy dash computation)

Computed Mileage actual driven/pumped was 24.3 overall. As I tend to top the tank off the actual gallons might vary a bit.

I need to get a handle on why the difference exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:59 AM

Garage
AFE Bias in the Engineering Test mode (ET) can be adjusted so the computed MPG matches actual MPG. Decrease the AFE bias if the computed mileage is higher than actual. Increase the AFE bias if the computed mileage is lower than actual. ET Mode is activated by holding the left "OK" button while turning on the car (don't need to start it) until ET mode is engaged on the left display.

We did a 5400 mile road trip in the girlfriend's Malibu 2.0 turbo, and we were averaging 32-33 mpg most of the trip. Going from Yellowstone to Montana through the Beartooth Pass, we were averaging 35.5 mpg. Keep in mind this is a 3500+ lb sedan with a 260 hp turbo engine. Coupled with a 18 gal fuel tank, our range was well over 500 miles.

My Fusion Sport gets about 21-22 mpg average driving, and on the freeway I've seen 25-27 mpg for pure freeway driving. Keeping it at under 75 mph helps because of our gearing. Her Malibu is geared in a way that at 80 mph, we're cruising at 2000 RPM.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
I changed my AFE bias a couple times and I've got it fairly comparable to calculated MPG's

My daily commute to work is 90% highway, I've played around a lot with speeds vs. MPG's.
Biggest factor is the wind but staying at 65 mph or under should get you around 27 mpg.
At 70 mph I'm getting about 24, it's a big difference, like mentioned above, it's the gearing.
I need to replace my tires soon and I'm looking at going up in height to 45 series instead of the stock 40.
Should net me a little increase in MPG's but mostly it will help with blowing tires in the potholes.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
AFE Bias in the Engineering Test mode (ET) can be adjusted so the computed MPG matches actual MPG. Decrease the AFE bias if the computed mileage is higher than actual. Increase the AFE bias if the computed mileage is lower than actual. ET Mode is activated by holding the left "OK" button while turning on the car (don't need to start it) until ET mode is engaged on the left display.

We did a 5400 mile road trip in the girlfriend's Malibu 2.0 turbo, and we were averaging 32-33 mpg most of the trip. Going from Yellowstone to Montana through the Beartooth Pass, we were averaging 35.5 mpg. Keep in mind this is a 3500+ lb sedan with a 260 hp turbo engine. Coupled with a 18 gal fuel tank, our range was well over 500 miles.

My Fusion Sport gets about 21-22 mpg average driving, and on the freeway I've seen 25-27 mpg for pure freeway driving. Keeping it at under 75 mph helps because of our gearing. Her Malibu is geared in a way that at 80 mph, we're cruising at 2000 RPM.

The FFS if it has all of the options, mine does, weighs somewhere over 3900 lbs. Including fuel, all fluids, luggage and passengers it will be over 4200 lbs. (that's being nice as an estimate of the passenger's weights). So, the Malibu has a distinct mileage performance compared to our FFS. I haven't gotten the mileage during average (16 - 18) or interstate (19 - 22) that you quote, but a lot of factors enter into my mileage performance. Quality of gasoline pumped, traffic, weather, etc. I keep a written log of mileage, and I never rely on the computed function of the vehicle, which is wildly optimistic for my FFS. I drove from my home to AZ. and back in February 2018. All of the trip was interstate, good and bad weather, no consistent brand of fuel, which means unknown quality. Mileage was between 18 - 21, mostly on the low number, but speeds were 75 - 85 depending on traffic and local posted speeds.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
I keep logs of actual and computed MPGs for all my vehicles for the past 20+ years. The Fusion Sport curb weight is just under 4200 lb, same as a 98-02 Crown Vic. But the Malibu gearing is much better since it is only 2000 RPM at 80 mph. In Montana and some of the other freeways where the limit was 80 mph, we were still getting decent mileage. My Fusion Sport is screaming at 80 mph thanks mainly to the 3.16 final drive. My 2014 SHO had 2.77 final drive (non PP) and was better in the freeway for revs.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 AM

My knowledge of how automatic transmissions work is minimal. Are the gear ratios a non adjustable via tuning? How do tuners make “economy” tunes vs “performance” tunes?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootushead View Post
My knowledge of how automatic transmissions work is minimal. Are the gear ratios a non adjustable via tuning? How do tuners make “economy” tunes vs “performance” tunes?

Hi Hootus. No, the physical gear ratios are not adjustable through tunes.

Very simplified explanations? When (timing) and how (firmness) the transmission may shift can be adjusted through tunes. And tuners can make "economy" and "performance" tunes by adjusting fuel ratios (lean vs rich), how and when the transmission will/will not shift, how long the trans will hold gears etc, etc. And with modern "fly-by-wire" throttle systems, tuners can also make the car "feel" quicker or more powerful by adjusting throttle tip-in to be more aggressive (throttle mapping). In other words, programming the initial first inch (just as a random example) of gas pedal movement (i.e. throttle tip-in) to give the car more acceleration than stock. So the car feels quicker off the line due to a more sensitive throttle. It is actually more of an illusion of quickness, but it can be felt.

Those are a few very simplified examples. Hope my explanations were understandable. Good luck.

Last edited by bbf2530; 11-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
The Fusion Sport's final drive is 3.16 I believe, same as the SHO with performance package. The SHO without the performance package gets 2.77s which helps keep the revs down at highway speeds. But I can see why Ford didn't make the ratio optional on the Fusion Sport. The 2.7 simply doesn't have the same launching characteristics as the 3.5 in the SHO, there doesn't seem to be as much low end grunt or off the line performance compared to the SHO w/ 2.77s, I got so much wheelspin with the SHO powerbraking at 3k that it set the car into limp mode at the track. My N/A Explorer has 3.65 and its because the engine is gutless off the line. It needs to be above 4000 RPM to have any soul coming out of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page