2017 Ford Fusion Sport oil change. - Page 13 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
I've done 5 oil changes on mine so far and haven't once removed the under shield. The oil flows perfectly through the cutout in the shield.

Yes it looks very close, but I've checked after each oil change and haven't even gotten a drip of oil on mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus112 View Post
Just did my first oil change...OP is right, you definitely need to remove the undertray. What a terrible design.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Can you take a picture of your under tray, I suspect there was a running design change. My fusion is an early build and I don't have to remove it to change the oil or ptu fluid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
DaMiFo likes this.

2017 Lighting Blue
post #123 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Both 2017 FSports (Build dates of JAN 2017 and MAY 2017) don't require removing the under shield to drain the oil pan.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As

post #124 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
Can you take a picture of your under tray, I suspect there was a running design change. My fusion is an early build and I don't have to remove it to change the oil or ptu fluid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'll try and get a pic, but it's no longer on ramps. For me, the shield cuts about halfway through the stream of oil. Found out the hard way. Had to reach up and bend the shield to prevent an even bigger mess! Will probably cut away the shield a bit for future changes.

post #125 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Garage
6/16 and never had an issue or needed to remove.

STB, hood lift, Unleashed V7, RSB, jckng rails, Edge antenna, MKZ gauges, VelossaTech Big Mouth, Lncln actv sus, Bambi mode, engine noise delete, 4 quick tap blinker, urethane filled RTM, partial filled diff bushing, CAI w/lid, Levels intercooler, lower grille, oil separator, GFB DV+, Steeda springs, lvl 3 taillights, heated armrest, Mondeo power folding/Dual AutoDim Side Mirrors, Mondeo hatchback wing, SS-TUNING fender flares, Flowmaster 17226 Axle Back, EPP Intk/Chrg Pipes, Maxbore 65mm TB
post #126 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus112 View Post
Just did my first oil change...OP is right, you definitely need to remove the undertray. What a terrible design.
I’ve changed my oil six times so far on my 2017 and NEVER needed to remove the undertray.
Maybe got a drop or two that I needed to wipe off, but that’s it.

Shawn S

2017 Ford Fusion Sport - Ruby Red
2006 Z51 Corvette - LeMans Blue
post #127 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
I’ve changed my oil six times so far on my 2017 and NEVER needed to remove the undertray.

Maybe got a drop or two that I needed to wipe off, but that’s it.

Shawn S
Since the drain is plastic, I wonder if it's variations on the direction the oil squirts out as opposed to variations on the under tray

post #128 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
I just changed the oil recently and this time got some oil on the undershield, but not a whole lot to the point I want to mess with the fasteners. There's oil leaking from the oil pan that gets on the shield anyhow.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #129 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Garage
I still wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around the shield and pinch up the edges just in case.
I always have a bit splashed on the foil when I'm done.
post #130 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM

I prefer to remove the shield prior to every oil change.

This allows me to check everything out carefully.

I'm never in a rush (by my choice) when working on my cars.

Otherwise, why bother..take it to the dealership.

In a little over two years of ownership.
It went in once for the steering wheel bolt.
Oreo likes this.

2017 Shadow Black, 401A fully optioned/ illuminated door sills/ factory 3M/ 3M Ceramic tint/ Steeda strut tower/front and rear anti-sway bars/ hood release/ jacking rails/AFE dry filter/ Velossa Tech Bigmouth/ rear LED marker lights/Level 3 taillights/ JLT catch can/GFB DV+ T9358/ UP rear motor mount , CP-e fmic with custom ACC relocate, MKZ trunk parcel shelf liner. MKZ turbos, Flowmaster 71226, SCT Livewire /Unleashed 94 octane tune (NO E30 here) PTU and rearend on Amsoil.

Last edited by Flew; 08-27-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page