Suspension - Sport has rougher ride than 2.0? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By elronino

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Suspension - Sport has rougher ride than 2.0?

My wife and I test drove a 2017 Titanium 2.0 AWD (19 wheels) and a new Sport. She said the Sport had a rougher ride (bumps were more pronounced) and preferred the 2.0 Titanium. The Sport was in normal mode for the test drive. I knew better than to put it in sport with her in the car. Has anyone else found this to be the case? The handling was much better on the sport. We take long trips and I am thinking the 2.0 would be more comfortable than the Sport. Can anyone comment on the ride?
I’ll be trading in my 2012 Fusion SEL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lskarha View Post
Can anyone comment on the ride?
I came from a 14' Fusion SE 2.0 and into a 17' FuSpo. I find the ride to be more tuned. I wouldn't say it's harsher/stiffer, but more tuned.

I drive about 100 miles of highway per workday and find it to be extremely comfortable. After a week of ownership, I feel the suspension has broken in a bit and provides a more relaxed ride. On the 'S' side of things, it does stiffen up a bit and provide more road feel than what you might find in the Titanium.

I'm not trying to sway you to the sport, but there is a reason you even test drove it... you want that performance
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a 2.0 on order but may switch to the Sport. I like performance but how often will I get to use it. My daily drive is about 12 miles thru a small town. I am just debating the slightly higher payment cost and of course the MPG difference. Do you notice a noise level difference at cruise? I like performance but don't want to sacrifice ride/economy. (The ultimate goal.) I do like to fell the road, just not abused but the road. The Sport was good enough ride wise to me. Defined what "more tuned" means to you.
Thanks,
-Lee

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you notice a noise level difference at cruise?
Noise levels seem to be improved over my retired SE. You don't hear much engine noise unless you tempt her with a heavy foot (even then I am pretty sure it's piped in through the speakers). Very little road noise when on the highway. Road imperfections are heard, but they are very dead/muted sounding.

Quote:
Defined what "more tuned" means to you.
The sport seems to handle the road imperfections with more grace and refinement. The electronic damping works well to mitigate jarring and that dreaded suspension drop out. Handling in and out of curvy roads makes my old SE (which I thought handled nice) seem lazy and non compliant. I find when in S mode, you don't get as much body roll in and out out of corners leaving you with a sense of stability. The road feel when the suspension firms up in S mode gives you that sporty touring sedan that the american automakers have been lacking for years. Finally, under heavy acceleration, I don't feel as much nose up movement (could be due to the AWD), so exiting corners with a firm acceleration leaves a smile on your face for a few miles.
Brando632 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just went to a dealer and drive a Sport and a Titanium AWD with 19” wheels. I also checked tire pressure in both cars. They usually come off the truck over inflated and it’s amazing how many dealers miss this. (No low pressure light, good to go.)
The rides for both are extremely good. However, I could tell a difference. I drove about 25 miles each, same route. I paid close attention to all but bumps and rough spots on the road. In SE Michigan the roads are usually pretty bad. I drove the Sport first then the Titanium.
The handling in the Sport is far better. Corning is amazing with all maneuvers being crisp and controlled. In normal and sport modes. But even though the ride is good, it is not a smooth as the Titanium. When traveling down the highway at 75 plus the Sport lets you feel more bumps than the Titanium.
I am still considering the Sport but I just wish I lived somewhere that had more exciting roads to drive. Driving thru farm country is not that exciting. The Titanium is still fun and might server me better.
-Lee
PS I always thought the Sport seats in the both cars was the same except for the Miko surface. But now I’m thinking the Sport has a slightly firmer seats which could give better road feel but not isolate the bumps.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:26 PM

You guys are ALL missing the point here. The ride is NOT abou the sport to the Titanium or the suspension. Its in the TIRES!! I should know. The 18" wheel I have on my SE 2016 is much more pronounced road feel and shall I say bumpier and harsher then say the 17" wheels. Its the TIRE SIZE. The lower profile tire you go the more and harsher ride you will get!!! Bottom line. You want better handling and sportier ride go with 18" or higher. You want a smooth riding car and less jarring? Go 17" or smaller. Simple as that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page