PTU Fluid Temp - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
PTU Fluid Temp

Has anyone else logged their PTU fluid temperature?

FORScan has a parameter (TCFT - Transfer Case Fluid Temperature). I did a log for a normal commute.

Ambient 70F
Transmission Fluid Temp was about 160F and rising
Engine Coolant Temperature was about 200F and rising
Transfer Case Fluid Temp was 145F

I'm fairly positive that the Fusion Sport's PTU is the same as the Escape and 2.3L EcoBoost Explorer PTU, while the 3.5L/V6 Explorer and Edge PTUs are the ones with the overheating issue. I don't see how a transfer case fluid temperature of 145F is going to overheat in 30k miles just with normal driving.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
Has anyone else logged their PTU fluid temperature?

FORScan has a parameter (TCFT - Transfer Case Fluid Temperature). I did a log for a normal commute.

Ambient 70F
Transmission Fluid Temp was about 160F and rising
Engine Coolant Temperature was about 200F and rising
Transfer Case Fluid Temp was 145F

I'm fairly positive that the Fusion Sport's PTU is the same as the Escape and 2.3L EcoBoost Explorer PTU, while the 3.5L/V6 Explorer and Edge PTUs are the ones with the overheating issue. I don't see how a transfer case fluid temperature of 145F is going to overheat in 30k miles just with normal driving.
So is our PTU cooled or not? I keep getting conflicting answers

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieEcoBoost View Post
So is our PTU cooled or not? I keep getting conflicting answers

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yes it is cooled on the Fusion Sport. There are 2 coolant hoses running to the base of the PTU which houses an exchanger. This is a different design from the Explorer/PIU/SHO PTU and cooler.

Our 6F55's have 2 coolers: one is under the driver side fog lamp, and the other is on top of the transmission housing with 2 coolant hoses running into it.
ArthurUSCG likes this.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As

Last edited by metroplex; 10-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:32 PM

In a normal drive, the PTU is only spinning the drive shaft. I bet aggressive driving or snow would get it a lot warmer. I wouldn't think those limited situations would affect the oil much long-term though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 PM
OX1

Quote:
Yes it is cooled on the Fusion Sport. There are 2 coolant hoses running to the base of the PTU which houses an exchanger. This is a different design from the Explorer/PIU/SHO PTU and cooler.

Our 6F55's have 2 coolers: one is under the driver side fog lamp, and the other is on top of the transmission housing with 2 coolant hoses running into it.
I thought the one on drivers side was an oil cooler?

EDIT, I thought you meant coolers for the PTU when I first read this.
And now I do remember that Darkstar destroyed his trans cooler
on drivers side trying to do a trans flush, so my mistake on oil cooler.

Last edited by OX1; 10-08-2019 at 11:25 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
The Fusion Sport, Edge Sport, MKZ 3.0T, and Continental 3.0T (all with the 6F55) are the only ones with our PTU.
Oreo and ArthurUSCG like this.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMiFo View Post
The Fusion Sport, Edge Sport, MKZ 3.0T, and Continental 3.0T (all with the 6F55) are the only ones with our PTU.
Thanks. I could never keep the Edge, Fusion, Escape, and Taurus/Explorer PTUs straight. I just know that the Taurus/Explorer PTU is not the same as the rest and are reported to be prone to overheating if you get the V6 engines even with the PTU cooler. The 2.3 EcoBoost Explorers are supposed to have a different PTU, and I am not referring to part #s but rather the base design.

This type of commute I drive is typical, so I guess that is why I was interested in the readings. I know the trans fluid usually gets to 160-180F by the time I get home, and only matches the ECT on really hot days in the summer, so I'd imagine the PTU can get that high as well on a normal commute.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Fun fact, if you drive with the bumper off after an intercooler swap (which means that harness in the driver wheelwell isn't connected, i think that is the cooler) the trans will lock you out of going into 4th gear at WOT.

2017 Lightning Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 AM

It's good to know the PTUs are cooled on this car. That should extend the life of the oil. A number of PTUs in the other models fail early because of the heat from the cat, transmission and engine. The small amount of oil turns to a tar like substance if run too long. Ford seems to have changed from lifetime to these should be maintained. Change intervals are all over the place on the internet. SSM 47000 discusses the shaft seal leak issue for other 2.7L models (including the 3.0L Continental) but I can't find an SSM or TSB on how often the oil should be changed. As anyone changed their PTU oil on their FFS yet?

2017 Fusion Sport 2.7L 401A (06/17)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Garage
Many people have changed their PTU fluid - there's a whole thread on it. Some have as early as 5,000 miles. But check the PTU Fluid Change thread for more info. On average, seems most here plan on every 20-30k miles.

As far as Ford is concerned, they still consider the PTU and RDU oils "lifetime" in our cars under all operating conditions. That's why you see varying info on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DaMiFo; 10-16-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page