3.0L Swap conversation - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
3.0L Swap conversation

I am starting this thread to discuss what I will need if I do the 3.0L swap is the dealership can't fix my smoking engine. (By the way, this is the 2nd engine in my car, and no I have never taken it to the track to race. It's only a daily driver and red light to red light BMW/ Benz/ Prius, , etc... destroyer.... lol)

1. I did get the brand new transmission and the PTU was inspect and I was told in good shape.

2. I can get a salvaged 3.0L with anywhere between 5,000-30,000 miles. (my car has 27330 miles on it)

So besides a complete engine. What else would I need? I researched and the MKZ, Fusion, F-150, Edge Sport/ST and Explorer ST all use the same ECM. I know I will need the typical consumables for the swap and new mounts and a few minor things unless any of the wiring is damaged. What other potential problems/issues might there be?

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
EPP Charge and Intake Pipes
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
Niche Misano wheels w Pirelli Cinturato P7 (255x40R19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Although this sounds like it would be fun to do, I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be .. .majority of 3.0t horsepower advantage over the 2.7 is the higher flow turbos. The 2.7 actually has the better block (CGI vs aluminum)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/...els/reserve-i/

Found it....CGI block

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:26 PM
OX1

Didn't we do this thread already............

https://www.fusionsportforums.com/fo...onversion.html
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Didn't we do this thread already............

Yes but that thread is full of rambling....no real technical talk..more of comparing turbos, piston pics and lots of what if's... I am looking for more tech talk and what would be needed to accomplish this if Ford doesn't get the act together and get my car working and stop BS'ing me on it. I want real no BS look at what I need to get this done if need be.

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
The 2.7 and the 3.0 engines are related - same thing Ford does with the 3.5L and 3.7L Duratec V6's. So you'll of course have to program the PCM with your VIN and vehicle variables to make that work, but while PCMs may be the same part numbers, the Lincoln calibrations may have some issues in a Ford (not sure, I've never tested it, but this is why we have to load Mondeo firmware onth the MKZ instrument clusters to use them in Fusions - so just a heads up on that).

Otherwise, a lot of parts are already shared between our Sports and MKZs with the 3.0T, so it may be doable.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMiFo View Post
. So you'll of course have to program the PCM with your VIN and vehicle variables to make that work,.

But wouldn't it just be easier to use all of the 2.7L Control modules for the 3.0L? I wouldn't swap any of the modules from the MKZ just the engine itself. The ECM and PCM just need to have the values changed to reflect the .3L increase, but even then it shouldn't need it. This way when its running you can data log and get Torrie or whomever to build a custom tune.

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhp View Post
But wouldn't it just be easier to use all of the 2.7L Control modules for the 3.0L? I wouldn't swap any of the modules from the MKZ just the engine itself. The ECM and PCM just need to have the values changed to reflect the .3L increase, but even then it shouldn't need it. This way when its running you can data log and get Torrie or whomever to build a custom tune.
You are uncharted waters so you will be learning as you go. (which can be daunting but also exciting). Hopefully it goes smoothly for you

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
The easiest way would be to get a full long block with turbos. The engine should have all of the came connectors, wiring, mounting, ect.

I would email Torrie and let him know what your planning, he might be able to copy over the 3.0 parameters so your base tune is the 3.0 base tune.

No one has done the swap yet, I would suggest getting the Ford Oasis subscription and downloading the PDF manuals and working harnesses for both cars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:48 PM

This is gonna be good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page