Engine oil pan and trans leak question - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine oil pan and trans leak question

I have just under 15k miles and I am doing the second oil change on my 17 Fusion Sport (I learned from others to stick with a 7500 mile OCI with EcoBoost/GTDI regardless of the type of oil used due to soot contamination and timing chain wear), and I had wiped clean the oil pan and transmission last week so I can keep an eye on what seeps out. I noticed that the only area of my oil pan that shows signs of leaking is that rear most bolt near the drain plug, passenger side - nowhere else on the pan do I spot any seepage/leaking. The top of the bolt in that recessed part of the pan is always covered in oil. There's signs of oil seepage on the felt under-body cover but nothing that is dripping.

My transmission shows signs of some weepage. There's a light layer of ATF on the bottom rear of the trans. I wiped it clean last week and saw it again this week.

My axle seals and PTU seem to be ok, no signs of gear oil.

For those that kept replacing oil pans or had trans/seal/PTU leakage, how did your situation compare to mine? Am I expecting more or bigger leaks in the future?

PS - I used 6 qt of oil last time and I got out maybe 7 qt of fluid. I thought it might be excess fuel but the oil actually smells very "clean" for an EcoBoost/GTDI engine. My coolant level hasn't dropped by 1 qt and the oil doesn't look like a milkshake.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
No one had any oil pan leaks here? Did it just leak everywhere or from a specific spot?

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage

2nd bolt from left (lower left corner of the pan in this pic) is the only one I can see with oil.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Garage
My first 2 oil pans leaked from the passenger side. Just had the 3rd one installed and am expecting it to do the same.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I heard from F-150 owners that once the dealer replaced the engine block, it solved the leaking issue. It apparently impacts the 3.5 and 5.0 pickup truck pans as well, which is why Ford switched back to aluminum (supposedly) for mid-2018 and newer. But the 2.7 still keeps the composite pan.

This is supposed to impact the 3.0 as well, so I wonder if the MKZ/Conti owners have the same problems? I'm also curious to see what Ford did for the 2020 Explorer ST.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
I can only speak for the oil pan leak and if fixed properly it shouldn't come back at least for a long time. Problem is not everybody fixes this the same. And some have had theirs in 3-4 times for this issue. Mine went in at 2,400 miles and no issues since. Currently at 8,000 miles. 10/16 build date.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 FFS Platinum White / full load, GFB DV+, Stainless steel sill plates, 20% HP Tint, Gloss black vinyl chrome delete, roof, spoiler, side mirrors and front & rear emblems
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 / Trifecta Tuned, BBK CAI, FlowMaster American Thunder Cat back
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The TSB ircc states it takes 3 days for the proper repair so if you get your car back in a day or two chances are it will leak again...
DaMiFo likes this.

2017 Fusion Sport Oxford White, 401A, Driver Assist Pkg, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Hood Strut Kit, Rear Sway bar, CAI Kit, Tracy Lewis Performance Signature Series Dual Valve Catch Can, Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 Signature Series Motor Oil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
The TSB ircc states it takes 3 days for the proper repair so if you get your car back in a day or two chances are it will leak again...
Mine was a day and a half with Ford and all seems good.
ArthurUSCG likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 FFS Platinum White / full load, GFB DV+, Stainless steel sill plates, 20% HP Tint, Gloss black vinyl chrome delete, roof, spoiler, side mirrors and front & rear emblems
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 / Trifecta Tuned, BBK CAI, FlowMaster American Thunder Cat back
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How hard is it to change oil pans after the warranty is up?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Garage
Well, the shop manual says to remove the sub-frame to pull the pan. I hope that's just Ford being Ford and it really can be done without that. Other than that (massive) step, it seems straightforward - remove it, clean up the area without scraping things to cause damage, re-seal, and torque the pan properly.
Flew likes this.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page