Front Wheel Spin and "AWD Temporarily Disabled" - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Front Wheel Spin and "AWD Temporarily Disabled"

Hi guys, I was just curious if anyone else has ever seen this message, I couldn't seem to find it posted anywhere though.

2017 Fusion Sport, 93 octane tune, if i launch it from a stop I can hardly catch traction, and most times the wheels keep spinning until I let off the gas. If I let them spin too long, they will still not catch, and then on my the dash I get the message "AWD Temporarily Disabled".

I also took it to the track for the first time last night to try it on a prepped surface. On my first launch I just floored it without a brake boost and spun my front wheels almost halfway down the track before I got the AWD disabled message. I can also spin my front wheels (usually they catch after a second or two, but its more than just a chirp) if i stomp it while going anywhere up to about 30 mph.

From what I understand if the car feels the front wheels not grabbing it will send some power to the rear, and then the car should catch. But I can just sit there and roll a FWD burnout instead.

Also not sure if this is related but does anyone else get a decent bit torque steer if they gun it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Does it do it if you go back to stock?

No torque steer for me just pulls hard and straight as an arrow...

2017 Fusion Sport Oxford White, 401A, Driver Assist Pkg, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Hood Strut Kit, Rear Sway bar, CAI Kit, Tracy Lewis Performance Signature Series Dual Valve Catch Can, Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 Signature Series Motor Oil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
Does it do it if you go back to stock?

No torque steer for me just pulls hard and straight as an arrow...
I'll put it back to stock tomorrow and see.

I forgot to mention I got a little orange wrench icon on my dash a few months back that said "see manual" but it hasn't popped up since. Does that just mean it threw a code for something?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragik View Post
I'll put it back to stock tomorrow and see.

I forgot to mention I got a little orange wrench icon on my dash a few months back that said "see manual" but it hasn't popped up since. Does that just mean it threw a code for something?

2017 Fusion Sport Oxford White, 401A, Driver Assist Pkg, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Hood Strut Kit, Rear Sway bar, CAI Kit, Tracy Lewis Performance Signature Series Dual Valve Catch Can, Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 Signature Series Motor Oil

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:25 PM
OX1

I suspect on a super torquey launch at the track, the fronts spin some and
the programming actually sends less power to the rear (I think it thinks there
is something wrong, as fronts should never spin too much with stock power).

That said, I'm talking way less than 10 feet of wheelspin, so something
must be wrong with your car.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Alright so I pulled out my tuner, and there were no DTC codes, so I would guess I flashed it at some point after I got that error. Not sure what to tell the dealer about that one....

I flashed it back to stock, took it out and took some videos of a few pulls and something definitely feels off. I also noticed this weird either grinding or buzzing noise in my front left tire any time the car is sending power. It's faint but the pedal vibrates a bit when it happens. I took a video but you can't really hear anything unless you listen really close with headphones.

and it looks like I can't link videos, but this is close enough I guess.

From a stop: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1-qKk...dTBRlXej6hfzvz

From 10mph: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=10F6I...00fTIhJOaCuru6

Grinding?: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1-xPi...gZE7maxTFFxKtg

Last edited by Oreo; 08-18-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fixed Video Links
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM

Garage
I had that kind of sound from the same side it was the [halfshaft axle assembly (4462AR); bushing - intermediate shaft (PTU bushing) (4462A11)] ...it had to get replaced. I can't get access your videos to hear what you are hearing but from what you said this is what it could be.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Links fixed...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:08 PM

Garage
Although mine is on the stock tune, I can't get any front wheel spin at all (even on the garbage Conti all-seasons). I've floored it from a stop or low speed from a corner, and the back end will actually break traction, but never the front (from engine power, at least). I'd definitely get yours looked at.

In our car's AWD system you are correct it does kick power to the back if the front slips (and it reacts pretty fast), but from a stop it always starts with power to all 4 wheels, as well driving at lower speeds or if you get on the gas a decent amount (any speed).
ArthurUSCG likes this.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 AM

Garage
Even at freeway speeds, if you open the throttle towards WOT, it will send power to the rear wheels (no slip required).

On the Explorer, turning the terrain management knob to snow mode sends some power to the rear wheels almost at all times until 55 mph.

BTW even during hard launches on these Badyear F1 tires, I've yet to encounter axle/wheel hop or excessive front spinning. I've managed 1.8x 60' times consistently with the stock street tires. I know what axle hop feels like on FWD and RWD vehicles, and the Fusion Sport seems fine without any drama.
DaMiFo likes this.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page