Transmission Problems - Page 2 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
6F55 is fairly common but they all have different part numbers depending on the application. My SHO, Explorer, and Fusion Sport all run the 6F55 but I guess differences in the housings and TCMs might call out different numbers, along with different final drives 2.77 vs 3.16
DaMiFo and ArthurUSCG like this.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My rep could be wrong or right up to a certain point. There is no way of truly knowing unless I see the parts first hand and verify the differences. I will just have to wait and see once I finally get my car back.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:47 AM

Just looked at the HVBOM for my car (17 FFS) the only part thats been updated for the trans is a bolt.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The only thing I can think of is that since my car was built 2016 with defective parts (long block) is that my car got an older 6f55 that doesn't have the same internals as the ones (block production) after mine.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhp View Post
The only thing I can think of is that since my car was built 2016 with defective parts (long block) is that my car got an older 6f55 that doesn't have the same internals as the ones (block production) after mine.
Sounds like they are just telling you BS to keep you happy lol. "Its updated and stronger so you wont have this problem again" meanwhile its the same thing lol.

Either way, its getting replaced. Ford typically doesn't rebuild transmissions anymore, just replace.
DaMiFo and ArthurUSCG like this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Firstt I am not happy, since its been in the shop almost 3week on Monday. Second, If I had all the software and tools needed, I would do the work myself. SAE mechanics at dealerships are dumb, lazy with many mistakes being made....Anyone can get SAE certified, by best friends in high school got SAE cert and they said the process was a joke. You never know.. it could have been updated for all production cars in the late 2016/ 2017 lot productions. 6f55 transmission has been update and changed many times since it was first released.

"Ford typically doesn't rebuild transmissions anymore, just replace." This is not true...Ford dealers do rebuild the transmissions all the time. Unless there is severe damage to the case. The internals are swapped out all the time. I had a 2014 Focus the had to have its clutch packs replaced all the time due to Ford listening to people complaining about how it shifted (it wasn't smooth enough), because it was a manual transmission electronically shift controlled, and it was constantly being updated to shift smoother which caused extra wear and tear and lead to failures. They had been using the same transmission for years in Europe with no issues. But there is always the chance they are BS-ing me but I would like to believe that with all the past issues I have had with this car that I truly got one older defective transmission and its finally getting a "newer" one.

This company rebuilds the 6f55 to make it better.

https://spprecision.com/products/6f5...sion-sale.html

If I had the money I would love to drop in a Voodoo or 2JZ engine in this car, as long as I could keep it AWD. Maybe one day....
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:45 AM

All depends on the transmission. They all go through a cost cap. The auto focus was such a huge problem it was certainly cheaper to tear down and replace the packs.

The ST and RS 6 speed calls for replacement, never rebuild, where the 5 speed focus gets a rebuild lol.

You wont see one piston getting replaced anymore, just short blocks too
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The engine is a different story from the transmission. Yes there is a cost cap but if you only need to replace 2 or 3 pack then its cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

The only reason the Focus transmission was a issue is Ford here in the US kept on changing how it worked and when it shifted due to people complaining about it wasn't smooth. If Ford just kept it the same from Ford Europe then there wouldn't have any problems and just told people that it was a manual transmission that was electronically controlled that should have solved the problems.

But any ways I am still waiting on my car. Hope to have it by Wed of this upcoming week.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhp View Post
The only reason the Focus transmission was a issue is Ford here in the US kept on changing how it worked and when it shifted due to people complaining about it wasn't smooth. If Ford just kept it the same from Ford Europe then there wouldn't have any problems and just told people that it was a manual transmission that was electronically controlled that should have solved the problems.
Ford certainly has issues with the DPS6 in Europe and the rest of the world where it's used. It's a lot less prevalent since most of Europe uses Manuals, and cars also have less power to stress the transmissions on top of it. The smoothness is definitely a complaint in North America, I'm not arguing that at all. But by no means is Ford causing more issues by updating the software and finding new/better clutch materials. They leak internally, the TCM fails, the clutches burn up, they fail to engage gears, the list of issues goes on.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMiFo View Post
Ford certainly has issues with the DPS6 in Europe and the rest of the world where it's used. It's a lot less prevalent since most of Europe uses Manuals, and cars also have less power to stress the transmissions on top of it. The smoothness is definitely a complaint in North America, I'm not arguing that at all. But by no means is Ford causing more issues by updating the software and finding new/better clutch materials. They leak internally, the TCM fails, the clutches burn up, they fail to engage gears, the list of issues goes on.

Yes. I lived in Germany for 8yrs. I must say manuals vs auto...it's about 50/50. Most of the manuals were in the diesel cars. I loved driving diesel cars the gas mileage was amazing and the tq was awesome. A big plus diesel was cheaper than gas there....bio-diesel was even cheaper (Gas 3.00-5.50 per liter, Diesel 1.50-2.00). Too bad the states is into gas and diesel is more expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page