Knocking/ Clanging noise? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Knocking/ Clanging noise?

Hi all,

I am suddenly noticing a knocking or light squeaking noise coming from my front left wheel area. I did drive over a small pothole, but the roads here (Chicago) are pretty much terrible, so it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else experienced this, and can you indicate what the issue was? Will take to Ford dealer soon.

Last edited by RJA29; 03-04-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Hi all,

I am suddenly noticing a knocking or light squeaking noise coming from my front left wheel area. I did drive over a small pothole, but the roads here (Chicago) are pretty much terrible, so it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else experienced this, and can you indicate what the issue was? Will take to Ford dealer soon.

Hi RJA. It is difficult, at best, to diagnose noises over the Internet. Could possibly be anything front left suspension related. Tie rod ends, control arms, strut, strut mount, swaybar end links, any of the bushings connecting all those parts, etc, etc. Could even be the left front transaxle. But again, this is all Internet guessing.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited by bbf2530; 03-04-2019 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
I had that early on, it was a Strut Mount / Bushing.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:37 PM

I have some weird creek sound on certain decel and accel. Has to be a mount.

17 Magnetic Fusion Sport
16 Shadow Black Edge Sport
01 SVT Cobra VMP TVS 702whp 690wtq
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Hi all,

The roads around the Chicago-land area have been exceptionally bad this year. Many potholes are more accurately described as craters.

Anyway, I hit one I simply could not avoid the other day, and it sounded bad- maybe it sounded worse than it was because I saw it coming. When I got home I couldn't find anything wrong with the car, wheel or wheel well. I have not heard any other noises coming from that area since the incident. Definitely get your issue looked at.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Unleashed 2017 Lightning Blue Ford Fusion Sport
Build Date: 11-30-2016
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Ball joint was the verdict - and only at 20K miles. $400 to replace, all covered by warranty. Certainly getting an extended warranty on this vehicle!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:41 AM

At a little more than 22k miles I am hearing some metallic clicks when moving the car with the driving wheel completely turned in one direction (right or left are equivalent).
If the driving wheel is straight, there is no abnormal noise.
Did somebody noticed this noise when parking the car?

On Monday the car will go to the dealer...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
#7 - If you hear clicking & feel something through the steering wheel when rotating the front wheels at high steering angle it could be one of the wheel end Constant Velocity joints. As others have said, difficult to diagnose items via internet.

Good luck on resolving.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerian View Post
At a little more than 22k miles I am hearing some metallic clicks when moving the car with the driving wheel completely turned in one direction (right or left are equivalent).
If the driving wheel is straight, there is no abnormal noise.
Did somebody noticed this noise when parking the car?

On Monday the car will go to the dealer...
I had something similar. Had a sort of grinding feeling with full lock. Noticed it most when pulling out of drive or manuvering in car parks.
Below is a shot of the dealer report after the fix. Hope it helps. If I remember what they told me, they claimed that the production line guy didn't lubricate the joints correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_185437.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	24423  

401A Shadow Black
K&N Filter, GFB DV+, Lime Green Painted Calipers, Rebadged to XR6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 AM

I made some more test today: no noise when the car is cold, but strong noise when the car is hot.
The noise come from the two front wheels when turning.
The dealer will have to make the diagnostic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in