Cross-shopping New FS and 1yr old SS - Page 3 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 PM

The SS I assume is heavier, and not necessarily faster. That said I expect it handles better, Gm's magnet ride suspension is superior, standard brembos as well. All the car mag folks such as Randy Pobst(former race car driver) love it's handling. I would test drive them both in a manner that allows you to make an informed personal decision. If you didn't test the Sport to answer any of your questions than test drive it again. I will say this for our beloved Sport. I've driven aggressively on some hilly twisty's and was impressed for what it is. Also I do honestly believe that the transmission does adapt some and the car will behave better over time than when you test drive, and a lot better with a tune. The erratic behavior of the transmission gets less over time as it adapts, and will disappear with a tune. If the same price it's hard to argue against the SS, except for its looks, gas mileage, infotainment tech, and no AWD, all of which may not matter to you. Again your best bet is to keep test driving them until you can decide on your own. Heck, might even just come down to which car is more comfortable for you to sit in.

Blue Lightning
UNLEASHED 93 octane tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin74 View Post
The SS I assume is heavier, and not necessarily faster.
I think the FS is slightly heavier than the SS by ~150lbs, but negligible for daily driving.

From my test drive, I was able to get on the SS more than I was able to get on the FS, so I haven't had a fair chance to really compare performance yet. That said, with published numbers, I'm sure they're pretty close off the line, but I think at passing speeds etc. the SS is substantially quicker since it traps ~10mph faster through the 1/4.

I like the LEDs on the FS. What our your guys' thoughts on night driving with the car?
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 AM

Garage
I traded in an 09 Lincoln MKZ with HID's, I really thought I would miss them but I honestly can't tell the difference.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles View Post
I think the FS is slightly heavier than the SS by ~150lbs, but negligible for daily driving.

From my test drive, I was able to get on the SS more than I was able to get on the FS, so I haven't had a fair chance to really compare performance yet. That said, with published numbers, I'm sure they're pretty close off the line, but I think at passing speeds etc. the SS is substantially quicker since it traps ~10mph faster through the 1/4.

I like the LEDs on the FS. What our your guys' thoughts on night driving with the car?
Like the Pontiac G8, the SS is heavy weighing in at 2 tons, 4000lbs. As far as the LEDs, I don't notice a difference for my Sport compare to my mustang.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, I'm not sure passing favors the SS at all. Even without a tune, the AT will drop 2-3 gears to pass, and it'll jump out quickly with no drama. With the SS you've got to shift down, match revs, accelerate, maybe shift again. I don't think it works out faster, although in a race from a pull at any speed it'd bury the FS eventually.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Interestingly, I'm not sure passing favors the SS at all. Even without a tune, the AT will drop 2-3 gears to pass, and it'll jump out quickly with no drama. With the SS you've got to shift down, match revs, accelerate, maybe shift again. I don't think it works out faster, although in a race from a pull at any speed it'd bury the FS eventually.
I did not see him specify it was a manual. The SS comes with the 6-speed automatic standard.

NCTD
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Look at the IIHS website where they gave it a "poor" ratings and explanation why. I fully agree with them, I think HID's and even halogens have 15-20% better performance for night driving.
Wildcat Birdie likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
Look at the IIHS website where they gave it a "poor" ratings and explanation why. I fully agree with them, I think HID's and even halogens have 15-20% better performance for night driving.
I would have to agree.

My take on the LED lights are that they are incredibly bright, and will reflect off of signs and such extremely well, even at a difference. But they do not give the feel of lighting up the empty space very well. I am not sure exactly how to explain that part, but what I mean is with HIDs and even halogens, it actually looked like it was lighting up the immediate area. The LEDs seem to have to have something to reflect off of to see whats being lit. The light needs to be stopped by some object with the LEDs where other lights just seem to light up the sky and make the surrounding area seem a little brighter. I don't think that means these lights don't work well. I just feel like they don't seem to work as well.
Kevin74, mantra1 and dlm1984 like this.

Ruby Red 401a with Cooled Seats
Unleashed Tune 91 Performance
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie View Post
The LEDs seem to have to have something to reflect off of to see whats being lit. The light needs to be stopped by some object with the LEDs where other lights just seem to light up the sky and make the surrounding area seem a little brighter. I don't think that means these lights don't work well. I just feel like they don't seem to work as well.
That is what I think as well. Looks like LED scatters more as it is not as focused as i.e. HID's (even halogens nowadays) which have some sort of a lens in front of the bulb. Not sure why Ford didn't go with HID on Sport at least
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
I agree with Wildcat birdie.

They do extremely well at lighting up reflective things like signs. I really appreciate that when driving at night. I also feel as though they perform better in rain than the halogen lights in any of my previous cars or the cheaper HID's in a BMW I owned. Last, but not least, they also provide great spill and light up the sides of the road quite well - it comes in handy when making turns.

However, outside of those areas, they don't *SEEM* to perform as well as more traditional lighting - I don't perceive the road surface to be as bright, which some people may find disconcerting.

I feel that tradeoff is worth it in terms of the overall performance and uniformity LED lighting provides.

2017 Fusion Sport in lightning blue
401A, moonroof, cooled seats, navigation, and driver assist

3M Color Stable 35 tint, Drive Bright LED puddle lamps; TTR FMIC and Unleashed 93 tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page