Cross-shopping New FS and 1yr old SS - Page 2 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7
Has anyone autox their FS?

I test drove a FS today and I like the AWD, which I don't really need. It snows here like every other year and its only on the ground for a day or two.

I wasn't able to really push the car, but it definitely felt quick. However, the SS chassis felt quite a bit stiffer. Since I wasn't able to wring out the FS, I'm curious what others think about handling compared to the SS. The FS felt heavier, but certainly no slouch. I'm curious how they'd compare in autox and track day events.

Last edited by Goggles; 05-07-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Goggles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
I cross shopped these two but at the time SS was $50k and FS was (also full loaded) $36k and that was a deal for me. There is no single thing that makes SS better car OTHER than personal preferences such as V8 sound and RWD (but I have SRT Charger already so I got that covered) and track handling but just based on magazine reviews as I haven't tried SS on the track.
SS is nowhere worth $14k more than FS. Now with Chevy 20% off deals - different story...
Goggles likes this.
Captain Nemo is offline  
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 533
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles View Post
Has anyone autox their FS?

I test drove a FS today and I like the AWD, which I don't really need. It snows here like every other year and its only on the ground for a day or two.

I wasn't able to really push the car, but it definitely felt quick. However, the SS chassis felt quite a bit stiffer. Since I wasn't able to wring out the FS, I'm curious what others think about handling compared to the SS. The FS felt heavier, but certainly no slouch. I'm curious how they'd compare in autox and track day events.


When I first test drove the car I was very surprised how heavy it felt, actually had me second guessing the purchase.
It's a really nice riding car, not sure about auto crossing it though.
And when you test drive a sport, I'm sure most people will agree it most likely has 87 octane in the tank, fill it with 93 and it's a whole different animal.
La Flama Blanca is online now  
 
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
dlm1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 206
Garage
My suspicion is the the SS would perform better in an autocross environment. I haven't driven an SS, but the feel and ability to supply some oversteer with a RWD car seems like a substantial advantage.

When I've pushed my Fusion Sport, it's quite evident that it's a heavy FWD biased car. I've also had a few incidents where the car doesn't behave as expected on hard acceleration from a stop or slow roll while making a hard turn - IE beating oncoming traffic onto a highway on ramp or at a traffic light. It's certainly capable of putting down power a lot more effectively than my 14 Ti, but there are limitations.

I'd probably choose the SS if snow and price weren't really factors in the buying decision.

2017 Fusion Sport in lightning blue
401A, moonroof, cooled seats, navigation, and driver assist

3M Color Stable 35 tint, Drive Bright LED puddle lamps; TTR FMIC and Unleashed 93 tune
dlm1984 is online now  
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,254
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles View Post
Has anyone autox their FS?

I test drove a FS today and I like the AWD, which I don't really need. It snows here like every other year and its only on the ground for a day or two.

I wasn't able to really push the car, but it definitely felt quick. However, the SS chassis felt quite a bit stiffer. Since I wasn't able to wring out the FS, I'm curious what others think about handling compared to the SS. The FS felt heavier, but certainly no slouch. I'm curious how they'd compare in autox and track day events.
You need to talk Donjohnk on here since I believe he does autox.
Vert is offline  
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 158
Price would be the key decision maker for me. The FS are available at big discounts right now, probably as much as the SS (unless Chevy has another 20% off promo come along). If the price were the same, AND I didn't need AWD, AND I didn't care about fuel economy, I'd get the SS.

Not sure it's worth another 5-10K, poorer fuel economy, and no AWD.
RJA29 is offline  
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
bigblueshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 451
I feel you can't compare the SS and Fusion Sport AWD. They are different type of markets; apples to oranges

The SS is RWD and FuSport is AWD. Different ballgame. If you're looking for only RWD, that opens up a whole new slew of car comparisons.

If you're comparing RWD cars, you have to look at all the SRT vehicles (Charger, Challenger), Ford Mustang GT 5.0, 370Z, Genesis Coupe. etc.. Especially if you're looking 1 year used.
bigblueshock is offline  
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueshock View Post
I feel you can't compare the SS and Fusion Sport AWD. They are different type of markets; apples to oranges

The SS is RWD and FuSport is AWD. Different ballgame. If you're looking for only RWD, that opens up a whole new slew of car comparisons.

If you're comparing RWD cars, you have to look at all the SRT vehicles (Charger, Challenger), Ford Mustang GT 5.0, 370Z, Genesis Coupe. etc.. Especially if you're looking 1 year used.
Yes and no.

If you are looking for a performance sedan, and don't care if its AWD or RWD, you just want a four door car that can go, they are both in the market. The only other car on your list that fits performance sedan would be the Charger. Only other option would be the CTS-V, but that is a huge jump in price.

People don't just look at drivetrains to decide what to get. Some people require the sedan, but want performance as well.
bigblueshock likes this.

Ruby Red 401a with Cooled Seats
Unleashed Tune 91 Performance
Wildcat Birdie is offline  
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
bigblueshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie View Post
Yes and no.

If you are looking for a performance sedan, and don't care if its AWD or RWD, you just want a four door car that can go, they are both in the market. The only other car on your list that fits performance sedan would be the Charger. Only other option would be the CTS-V, but that is a huge jump in price.

People don't just look at drivetrains to decide what to get. Some people require the sedan, but want performance as well.
That makes sense, I did not factor coupe and sedan differences. Personally, I wanted a new automatic Performance AWD Sedan in the 30-35k price range. Only sedans I could compare with were the Taurus SHO (after rebates), Charger SXT, Subaru WRX, and Legacy 3.6R. There may be a couple of others but still, not a whole lot around 300HP +/-
Wildcat Birdie likes this.
bigblueshock is offline  
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueshock View Post
That makes sense, I did not factor coupe and sedan differences. Personally, I wanted a new automatic Performance AWD Sedan in the 30-35k price range. Only sedans I could compare with were the Taurus SHO (after rebates), Charger SXT, Subaru WRX, and Legacy 3.6R. There may be a couple of others but still, not a whole lot around 300HP +/-
I did forget about a few cars that could be added to the list, but like I said, it all just depends on the needs and wants of the buyer for what cars are in the list. For me it was all about something that was sporty but I could also drive in the winter, and the Fusion Sport hit those aspects plus had a lot more of the tech and comfort levels over the Evo I was looking at, as well as at a better price, so thats what I went with.
bigblueshock likes this.

Ruby Red 401a with Cooled Seats
Unleashed Tune 91 Performance
Wildcat Birdie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome