Best high performance tires for stock rims? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Best high performance tires for stock rims?

I was looking for the best and grippy just tires that fit on our stock wheels... Not interested in wet weather or snow or or season anything like that just want as much grip as I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Bridgestone Potenza S007a are available in 245s, they would be grippy as all get out and stand a chance to be DD liveable unlike the RE-71R.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
What are your goals or usage?

2017 Lighting Blue

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM

I am a new fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 245 40 19

Livin the dream!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
What are your goals or usage?

I have the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrical‘s and have gone through two sets of tires and 50,000 miles... at that type of tire usage I would prefer a very high-performance tire if I’m going to be replacing them that often. I don’t do track time but I drive basically every mile on the street like I’m on the trap type of usage most people would see on the track track I don’t do track time but I drive basically every mile on the street like I’m on the track type of usage most people would see on the track.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Why do you say that those tires are daily driving unlivable?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427 View Post
I was looking for the best and grippy just tires that fit on our stock wheels... Not interested in wet weather or snow or or season anything like that just want as much grip as I can get.

Hi Cobra. As ArthurUSCG asked, the only way to give you an informed opinion is with more information.

The best "grippy" tire is going to be an Ultra High Performance, Summer-only tire. But a summer only tire will be unusable in a Virginia winter (just the cold temps alone, not even talking about snow), and can even be damaged by driving in cold temperatures (I believe ~40°F and below). So do you plan on using a separate set of winter tires or garaging your Sport for the winter? If you are going to use the same tires in winter, then you need an Ultra High Performance, All-Season tire.

And as a heads up: If you think two sets of tires in 50,000 miles is bad, a "grippy" Ultra High Performance, Summer-only tire will probably need to be replaced every ~12,000-20,000 miles, if you daily-drive as hard as you say you do. Look at it this way: Apples to apples...The grippier the tire, the shorter the tread life.

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to go to The Tire Rack... https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...ion_guide.html ...and use their Tire Decision Guide to find recommendations for exactly what you want.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited by bbf2530; 05-29-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 PM
OX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper6 View Post
I am a new fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 245 40 19
Same here, PS4S. At least new, they corner upwards of 90% as well wet (not puddles, but wet road)
vs dry. I know you said your not worried about wet, but this tire lets you bake your cake, frost it, light candles, sing HB, and and eat it too.

Mine were also perfectly round. 100% vibration free, no other tire I have ever owned was/is (even the Mich AS 3+ I have for winter have just a hint). Have also had them down to 35 degrees (not by choice, dealer trashed one of my winter tire rims, so I swapped over thinking it was spring, and then got caught one morning), and they were fine. Not super greasy like some summer tires I've had.

Need to shut up now, starting to feel like a Mich rep or something..........

Last edited by OX1; 05-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 PM

Best high performance tires for stock rims?

@OX1 .... yeah I am going to do some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 for winter. I expect the the Super Sports to last ~15,000 miles... they are very grippy. Gives a whole new meaning to roundabouts and on/off ramps!

Livin the dream!

Last edited by Sleeper6; 05-29-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Garage
Anyone fit any wider tires on the stock 19 wheels?
255/45R19 looks like it would work with the 8 inch wide rims, but clearance at the front is tight. Those were stock on the SHO with 19 inch wheels.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page