87 or 93 and What Brand? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 87 or 93 and What Brand?

Just for kicks...

Who is planning on running regular 87 through their FuSpo's veins? I test drove the one I leased and it had quarter tank of 87... I made a point to tell the dealer to fill it up with 93... it is a sports car, right?

With that said, I been fairly diligent with researching different fuel brands and if it makes a difference. Bottom line, its relatively all the same if you are getting it from a high volume name brand (Kroger, Meijer, Costco, BP, Shell, etc.). With the premium fuel, companies are beginning to add proprietary additives and cleaners that are supposed to assist with keeping things clean.

Since taking delivery, all tanks have been filled with Shell 93... There is one station around my house that does not bend me over as much. I've notice a significant difference from test drive, and a slight difference from when the dealer topped her off (likely due to there still being 87 in the tank).
Chad3179 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dang, I feel spoiled. Just about every station has 93 by me. The one problem I find is it can be $.80 to $1.00 over regular.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:38 PM

I also tend to buy my gas at a grocery store, because they have cheaper regular and the 93 is only 38-40 cents more. My current car requires 91 or better so the good stuff it is. We only get 87, 89, or 93 around here.
elronino likes this.

Window Shopper

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM

The best I have in the city I live is 91. There are only two stations in the city I work that sell 93. Its a 40 mile difference between where I live and where I work... So I am kinda stuck. I wonder how well it runs on 91 as opposed to 93? Is it noticeable at all, or can you still feel the difference?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie View Post
The best I have in the city I live is 91. There are only two stations in the city I work that sell 93. Its a 40 mile difference between where I live and where I work... So I am kinda stuck. I wonder how well it runs on 91 as opposed to 93? Is it noticeable at all, or can you still feel the difference?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably won't feel a ton of difference... but it is a different fuel grade so there could be advantages. I either get 87,89 or 93. I've got about 3 stations within 10 miles of me that pump race gas... 100 octane

Wondering if 100 octane could be pumped through there with a tune on it....
falkin42 and 1153 like this.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronino View Post
I've got about 3 stations within 10 miles of me that pump race gas... 100 octane
Jealous. How many blood sacrifices does it cost though?

Window Shopper
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronino View Post
Just for kicks...

Who is planning on running regular 87 through their FuSpo's veins? I test drove the one I leased and it had quarter tank of 87... I made a point to tell the dealer to fill it up with 93... it is a sports car, right?

With that said, I been fairly diligent with researching different fuel brands and if it makes a difference. Bottom line, its relatively all the same if you are getting it from a high volume name brand (Kroger, Meijer, Costco, BP, Shell, etc.). With the premium fuel, companies are beginning to add proprietary additives and cleaners that are supposed to assist with keeping things clean.

Since taking delivery, all tanks have been filled with Shell 93... There is one station around my house that does not bend me over as much. I've notice a significant difference from test drive, and a slight difference from when the dealer topped her off (likely due to there still being 87 in the tank).
Fuel companies have been doing this for many, many years. Nothing new here.

As for the brand of fuel you choose to burn, just stick with Top Tier fuels. Of the ones you mentioned, BP and Shell are the best (Costco has more recently entered the Top Tier fold). BP is Amoco gas so that is fine. It is a white gas which means no dies are added. My top choices in the area in which I live are BP and Shell, in that order. If you can find Chevron, that is a highly rated Top Tier fuel.

As for choosing between 87 and 93, that is a no brainer. Go with 93 to allow the ECU to unleash the maximum amount of power the current state of tune will support.

Retailers
Blue Fuze likes this.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 08-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by falkin42 View Post
Jealous. How many blood sacrifices does it cost though?
Last time I even glanced at the pump I got a call asking for my left arm. It was right around $5-6 a gallon.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 PM

Seems like a lot but then it's not an all the time thing, like if I lived in California and had to pay that to begin with.

A once in a while luxury.

Window Shopper
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:44 AM

Dealer almost certainly put 87, which fine by me. Still feels like plenty of power. (Still on my 1st tank). Haven't really romped on it. Only put it in Sport once and did like a 5-40 pull on the test drive. Trying to do the 1,000 mile break in first I guess. Hopefully the guys at the dealer didn't abuse it too badly during it's first 38 miles before it was mine.

Once the break in is done I'll do a tank of 93 and see if it's worth it. Thinking highly unlikely unless going to the track etc. For DD not with the extra to do 0-60 a little faster a few times each tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page