Coilover Suspension - Page 2 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
"Excellent ride quality" is subjective. Most coilovers you introduce at least some harshness with just the adj tops with bearings instead of bushings.
And spring rates almost always go up, so yes you can "soften" the damping, but it still is not going to be as comfy and quiet as I am now.
I did have some impact harshness from the summer tires, but I still get complments on ride quality, even from my parents who drive "newer" Grand Marquis
every day.

I'm not really sure why this simple combo has transformed this car so well. You still feel the weight at the limit, but just the slight increase in Sport
setting on the stock shocks, this thing has physics bending turn-in, lane change ability, along with very high limits steady state cornering.

Of course if I tracked the car a lot, I'd want the stiffness to be in the springs to keep the suspension independant, but the combo I have now
requires driving like you are on a road course to get to the point I need more. I'd honestly do a big brake kit for tracking first, they are horrible
for road course use, IMO.
Which swaybars, steeda front and rear? I've heard so many saying they make a negligible difference, especially since they were designed for the base model fusions.

2017 Lightning Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 PM

My understanding too was that they didn't make a big difference since ours are a little more robust than standard ones. I'd love confirmation of that.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM
OX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by detriot View Post
Which swaybars, steeda front and rear? I've heard so many saying they make a negligible difference, especially since they were designed for the base model fusions.
Who are the so many? I do think the rear bar should have been larger (which I'm sure you saw me upgrade mine), but it still has a huge affect,
especially on the squishy loose feeling the whole rear susp has with quick lane change type manuevers. Overall the car is much flatter feeling, and
I hate body roll.

Again, on a fast race track, say over 1.5 miles, I think stiffer springs or coil overs might be faster, but on the street, you can't drive like that (not
in most of my driving area, I realize at some points in the country, you probably could). And you shouldn't drive on track with really fast changes
in direction, like you would on the street because it is fun, or you have to avoid potholes. I think this combo produces incredible handling (especially
transient response), with the smallest amount of NVH impacts possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2881 View Post
My understanding too was that they didn't make a big difference since ours are a little more robust than standard ones. I'd love confirmation of that.
Here is a pretty tight 90 degree corner, logged max of .94G's, nice and flat. This was before I upgraded rear bar, but both bars were in and 245 PS4S tires were the only mods
(and pretty sure I was in Sport).

https://luxjo.supermotors.net/FUSION...407-063532.mp4

My all time high so far was 1.05G's

ArthurUSCG likes this.

Last edited by OX1; 09-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
Not anymore, some of the major suspension companies (kw suspension) are making coilovers that work with the electronic controls. DSC sports are making replacement tuneable controllers, unfortunately no one is making them for the Fusion Sport.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hopefully that will be the case for our cars in the future. But right now we will have to use conventional coilovers.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Hopefully that will be the case for our cars in the future. But right now we will have to use conventional coilovers.
If you send a message asking them, hopefully they will see there is desire and they will make them.

2017 Lighting Blue
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1
Which
My all time high so far was 1.05G's

That's impressive, way above any road testing #s I've seen. I haven't pushed my at all, but I notice a little roll and play in the rear end.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:24 PM
OX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2881 View Post
That's impressive, way above any road testing #s I've seen. I haven't pushed my at all, but I notice a little roll and play in the rear end.
Keep in mind that is peak, not really the same as what you see in a true road test.
That said, I have no issue maintaining significantly over .9 G any time I want.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
If you send a message asking them, hopefully they will see there is desire and they will make them.

MMMM that's actually a good idea You never know
I'm gonna shoot them a email and see if I get any kind of response.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know how many 17 - 19 sports were produced. That will give us an idea as to whether or not any suspension mfgs will be interested.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Does anyone know how many 17 - 19 sports were produced. That will give us an idea as to whether or not any suspension mfgs will be interested.
Well, Ford was guesstimating the Sport would have a 5% take rate. Here's a link to a site with sales numbers for all Fusions.
Ford Fusion US car sales figures
Did a quick, rough numbers crunch and Ford sold just over 380,000 Fusions for 17 &18, so assuming said 5% take rate means about 19,000 Sports. 2019 is on pace for about 193k sales, so about 9500 Sports. So, 17-19 adds up to about 28,500 Sports. The next question is how many Sports will end up in the hands of us enthusiasts out of the projected 28.5k.

Burgundy Velvet Stock, so far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page