MKZ Turbos Have Landed - Page 7 - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Garage
Saw that article too and went to the company site. Honestly there are already several companies doing the same thing to theses turbos. It's just our car's transmission can not handle that much power. There needs to a alternative to our PTU and Transmission in order to handle that much power. It would be nice though to get a pair like those slap them on and go all out crazy.

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
EPP Charge and Intake Pipes
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
Niche Misano wheels w Pirelli Cinturato P7 (255x40R19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 PM

So two weeks or more of MKZ turbos and no one has numbers yet, dyno or track?

2018 Fusion Sport | 401A | Moonroof | Cooled Seats | Nav | Driver Assist Package

Performance Mod's: Unleashed E50 Custom Tune | Snow Performance Stage 2 Methanol Injection Kit | UP 3" Catted Downpipes | UP Garrett Core Front Mount Intercooler | UP Rear Motor Mount | Steeda CAI (w/custom plexiglass top) | GFB DV+ T9358 | NGK Plugs | BBK 65MM Throttle Body

Aesthetic Mod's: Tint, Illuminated Door Sills

1/4 Mile:
12.611 @ 110.89

0-60:4.51
0-60(1'):4.30
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhp View Post
Saw that article too and went to the company site. Honestly there are already several companies doing the same thing to theses turbos. It's just our car's transmission can not handle that much power. There needs to a alternative to our PTU and Transmission in order to handle that much power. It would be nice though to get a pair like those slap them on and go all out crazy.
As long as your not abusive I think it will hold up fine. There are quite a few guys running upgraded turbo setups with no tranny or ptu issues. First point of failure seems to be front axle snapping from hard launching

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieEcoBoost View Post
As long as your not abusive I think it will hold up fine. There are quite a few guys running upgraded turbo setups with no tranny or ptu issues. First point of failure seems to be front axle snapping from hard launching

Yes, but I am talking about is you will not be able to get 500whp and 500TQ with our PTU and Transmission in regards to the article turbos. 400whp and about 450wTQ is going to be the max without catastrophic failure.

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 PM

The same transmission is in the Taurus SHO which seems to hold up to around 500/500 before it starts having problems. They don't seem to have the axle issues though.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I am talking about is you will not be able to get 500whp and 500TQ with our PTU and Transmission in regards to the article turbos. 400whp and about 450wTQ is going to be the max without catastrophic failure.
Based on what information? There are a couple of SHO guys pushing around 500whp. Same transmissions as us and same PTU. Sure they have run into some issues, but thats from pushing them at the drag strip. Otherwise from what i understand they daily drive those cars

ArthurUSCG likes this.

post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I don't believe I have heard of a single catastrophic failure of our PTU or transmission to date.
Somebody pooched their drive train by excessive wheel hop causing the axle to break and it caused case damage to the PTU.

The same transmission and PTU are used on the MKZ with 400 HP and 400 LBS torque. Given a guestimated 20-30% safety margin.
I think we should all be pretty safe with the numbers we can get with all the available mods to date.

Now excessively high RPM launches with excessive axle hop... can break something.
Fozzy likes this.

2017 Shadow Black, 401A fully optioned/ illuminated door sills/ factory 3M/ 3M Ceramic tint/ Steeda strut tower/front and rear anti-sway bars/ hood release/ jacking rails/AFE dry filter/ Velossa Tech Bigmouth/ rear LED marker lights/Level 3 taillights/ JLT catch can/GFB DV+ T9358/ UP rear motor mount , CP-e fmic with custom ACC relocate, MKZ trunk parcel shelf liner. MKZ turbos, Flowmaster 71226, SCT Livewire /Unleashed 94 octane tune (NO E30 here) PTU and rearend on Amsoil.
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flew View Post
I don't believe I have heard of a single catastrophic failure of our PTU or transmission to date.
Somebody pooched their drive train by excessive wheel hop causing the axle to break and it caused case damage to the PTU.

My transmission had a catastrophic failure: the center and forward planetary assemblies, direct and overdrive clutches burnt and coming apart. multiple sticking valves in main control, severe contamination of solenoid body. And my car has never been raced on a track,just DD and red light to red light, but like I said in my transmission thread, I could have had a defective transmission like I did with the engine.

P.S. no clue why the site rotates the pic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191001_081955.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	25073  

CP-e FMIC
BBK Throttle Body
Custom CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Borla exhaust
Steeda Hood Strut
Steeda Tower Brace
Chrome-delete
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
My transmission had a catastrophic failure: the center and forward planetary assemblies, direct and overdrive clutches burnt and coming apart. multiple sticking valves in main control, severe contamination of solenoid body. And my car has never been raced on a track,just DD and red light to red light, but like I said in my transmission thread, I could have had a defective transmission like I did with the engine.

P.S. no clue why the site rotates the pic....
Sorry to hear that, but that type of failure seems to be the exception and not the norm. Especially since you were not abusing the transmission like you said. Most likely you had a defective unit unfortunately which can happen in any car.

post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Garage
We are getting 40hp from MKZ turbos meanwhile those upgraded F150 turbos adding 240hp/170tq at the wheels. This is why I'm probably not going to bother with mkz turbos. Someone needs to just go the hard route with custom turbos. Has anyone tried to fit a 65 trim? If its not possible stage 2 might not be bad either. What are mkz sizes?

"2018+ 2.7L CR Performance Stage 3 turbos".

"2015-17 2.7L CR Performance Stage 3 turbos".

Stage 1
(36.7mm Inducer / 51mm Exducer Upgrade, with a 52 trim) A great upgrade from stock at 34.7mm inducer size.
Stage 2
( 40.5mm Inducer / 56 mm Exducer Upgrade, 52 trim)
Stage 3
(41mm Inducer / 51mm Exducer Upgrade, with a 65 trim) 5 Star Tuning tested 468.4 RWHP on 93 or 540 RWHP with E50 Blend.

2017 Lightning Blue

Last edited by detriot; 10-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page