Stock exhaust limiting performance? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-10-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Stock exhaust limiting performance?

I just found this interesting chart. I was always under the impression our exhaust could flow 500+HP but this chart is suggesting ~463HP limitations. Based on my 12.611sec @ 110.89mph @ 4350lbs run using horsepower calculators I have ~428-458 HP. Could it just be as easy as swapping exhaust to free up some ponies? I would love to do a valvetronic system so I can pick and choose when it's loud as I would like to keep it a sleeper as much as possible. Thoughts? Currently setting aside 3k for turbo, throttle body, and misc. But will all that be in vein if I don't upgrade the exhaust?

https://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/ho...pipe-diameter/

2018 Fusion Sport | 401A | Moonroof | Cooled Seats | Nav | Driver Assist Package

Perfomance Mod's: LMS93V6 Tune *retired* | Unleashed E30 Custom Tune | Snow Performance Stage 2 Methanol Injection Kit | Ultimate Performance 3" Catted Downpipes | Ultimate Performance Garrett Core Front Mount Intercooler | Ultimate Performance Rear Motor Mount | Steeda CAI (w/custom plexiglass top) | GFB DV+ T9358

Aesthetic Mod's: Tint

Best 1/4 Mile:
12.611 @ 110.89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-10-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFS View Post
I just found this interesting chart. I was always under the impression our exhaust could flow 500+HP but this chart is suggesting ~463HP limitations. Based on my 12.611sec @ 110.89mph @ 4350lbs run using horsepower calculators I have ~428-458 HP. Could it just be as easy as swapping exhaust to free up some ponies? I would love to do a valvetronic system so I can pick and choose when it's loud as I would like to keep it a sleeper as much as possible. Thoughts? Currently setting aside 3k for turbo, throttle body, and misc. But will all that be in vein if I don't upgrade the exhaust?

https://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/ho...pipe-diameter/
Hey if I'm not mistaken the youtuber Twinforce said he shaved off .2 on avg in the 1/4 mile after removing the mufflers. But he does have the higher flowing MKZ turbos and UP downpipes tho

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieEcoBoost View Post
Hey if I'm not mistaken the youtuber Twinforce said he shaved off .2 on avg in the 1/4 mile after removing the mufflers. But he does have the higher flowing MKZ turbos and UP downpipes tho

I think that was before the turbos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Two tenths would be a no brainer. I wish I had a welder I would make a poor man's version of Armytrix and use a valve system to switch between open headers and sleeper mode. Only need it at the track . Maybe an exhaust shop would do it for me...

2018 Fusion Sport | 401A | Moonroof | Cooled Seats | Nav | Driver Assist Package

Perfomance Mod's: LMS93V6 Tune *retired* | Unleashed E30 Custom Tune | Snow Performance Stage 2 Methanol Injection Kit | Ultimate Performance 3" Catted Downpipes | Ultimate Performance Garrett Core Front Mount Intercooler | Ultimate Performance Rear Motor Mount | Steeda CAI (w/custom plexiglass top) | GFB DV+ T9358

Best 1/4 Mile:
12.611 @ 110.89
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 03:38 PM

General rule of thumb for turbo cars, more flow means better performance.

I can't imagine the stock catback being that limited, but I could be wrong.

Catless downpipes would be your best bet instead of catted.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I have hi-flow cats.

Best 1/4 Mile:
12.611 @ 110.89
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFS View Post
I have hi-flow cats.
High flow or not, its still a big restriction. Much better going catless. Can space out the O2's as nessesary to pass emissions testing if you have it in your state.

With what you want to accomplish with your car, you want the least amount of air restrictions. IMO, before you decide to any head work etc etc, you'll want to get that exhaust flowing.

The air it breathes in, it needs to get out.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I already spent ~1600 on the downpipes switching them to catless isn't an option unless someone wanted to trade them.

Best 1/4 Mile:
12.611 @ 110.89
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 04:28 PM

The catless downpipes provided only marginal gains over the high flow catted version when they were tested by Matt (ultimate performance)

Oreo likes this.

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Unread 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
It looks like the stock suitcase muffler also helps reduce aero drag. It seems to smooth out flow under the rear bumper.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in