Driveshaft Weight - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Driveshaft Weight

Has anyone removed their driveshafts and weighed them?
I picked up 2/10ths on my 14 GT by changing over to Carbon Fiber D.S. It was a difference of only 20# but it was rotational weight. 60 foot time improved by 1/10th. MPG also increased.
So therefore I am wondering if a C.F. D.S. is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Has anyone removed their driveshafts and weighed them?

I picked up 2/10ths on my 14 GT by changing over to Carbon Fiber D.S. It was a difference of only 20# but it was rotational weight. 60 foot time improved by 1/10th. MPG also increased.

So therefore I am wondering if a C.F. D.S. is worth it.
I don't think our driveshaft is as robust as the mustang platform so a weight savings option may not yield as much gains. I could be wrong but that is my guess

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Driveshaft weight

This car is putting out a lot of torque, more than my EcoBoost Mustang. and that had a 41# driveshaft I suspect ford put a robust D S in this car. I guess I'll give the DSS a call and see what they have to say.

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 07-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
This car is putting out a lot of torque, more than my EcoBoost Mustang. and that had a 41# driveshaft I suspect ford put a robust D S in this car. I guess I'll give the DSS a call and see what they have to say.
Max power to rear is 50 percent

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

White Platinum Tri-Coat 401A - Bone Stock (for now)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 AM

Garage
The Sport does have an upgraded from the regular Fusions, but it's still not as thick as even an EcoBoost Mustang's driveshaft.

It's heavy, but I didn't weigh it when it was out off of my car. And the Sport does use a 3-piece shaft as well. There's a very slim change a one-piece would work, it's pretty close under the tunnel already and the shaft does bend when it's on the car.

Personally I wouldn't think it's worth it on the Sport as it's AWD anyways and again only 50% of power goes to the rear. The cost of a new 3-piece shaft would make it even less worth it in my opinion as well due to the cost and less of a weight decrease.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM

You have part numbers for the different shafts? Find it difficult to believe ford put an upgraded driveshaft in but same axles as the other awd fusions.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleballr View Post
You have part numbers for the different shafts? Find it difficult to believe ford put an upgraded driveshaft in but same axles as the other awd fusions.
Fusion 2.0EB AWD: DG9Z-4R602-A

Fusion Sport / MKZ 3.0T: HP5Z-4R602-A

MKZ 3.0T w Torque Vectoring: HP5Z-4R602-B
ArthurUSCG likes this.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMiFo View Post
Fusion 2.0EB AWD: DG9Z-4R602-A

Fusion Sport / MKZ 3.0T: HP5Z-4R602-A

MKZ 3.0T w Torque Vectoring: HP5Z-4R602-B
Do you have a source for part number for fusion sport? thanks
Duh you had it posted. Excuse me I'm old.

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 08-05-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Garage
Even though it is AWD with a max of 50% power to the rear wheels (which happens at under 25 mph BTW, above 25 mph at WOT it is more like 35% power), the driveshaft is always spinning on the Fusion Sport!!! Some weight savings would actually be beneficial.
ArthurUSCG likes this.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
Even though it is AWD with a max of 50% power to the rear wheels (which happens at under 25 mph BTW, above 25 mph at WOT it is more like 35% power), the driveshaft is always spinning on the Fusion Sport!!! Some weight savings would actually be beneficial.
I made a real difference on my 14GT 2/10s in the qtr before I tuned it. And more noticeable on the 16EBM. I looked at the DS at the dealership and it looked pretty beefy I'm pretty sure it would be noticeable on this car. This DS is I'm sure build for a lot of torque. At this point Ford know we are going to beat anything Sporty with all those tunes out there. Kinda curious, has anyone called the FRP guys and asked about tuning the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page