Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Top speed?

34K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  Engineer 
#1 ·
Just wondering, haven't been able to find a listed top speed anywhere. I saw one magasine test listing a manufacturer limiter at 131mph, but the way the article was written implied that they never actually acheived 131mph.

Anybody hit the wall, either electronic or aero? My car only has 300 miles on it and still half full of 87, so holding off.

#8 ·
I've seen, uh, a Friend's Sport, top at 142. The car will supposedly limit the top speed based on certain things (ie, too much heat so it will limit the RPMs, power, or transmission speed to prevent more heat buildup).

Technically there's no set speed limiter - just the one the ECU calculates for mechanical protection. At least on my build sheet/specs, I have listed "LESS PREPROGRAMMED SPEED LIMIT" and "LESS ELECTR SPEED LIMITATION". The normal Fusions say "WITH" before both those.

#9 ·
I've seen, uh, a Friend's Sport, top at 142 ...
C&D doesn't use the vehicle's speedometer to measure top speed (or anything else for that matter), they use accurate and expensive data logging equipment.

They stated their 1.6 mile straightaway has the capability to measure top speeds up to 150 mph.

That aside, it's probably a good thing only you, the OP and Connor1281 are posting on this.

#12 ·
I've done a couple Mexico trips in mine ... 140 without a tune and 140 with Unleashed tune. My EDIS report says limiter removed, and it feels like hitting a wall when it hits 140 (still pulling good prior). As for speedo accuracy, mine read 1 mph low at 69 mph (I've been pulled over for 69mph in a 60 with cruise set at 68)...so it'd be reasonable to say 142mph.

#16 ·
With LMS tune, 139.07mph (using Torque Pro) hit a hard wall it felt like. Was pulling like an absolute beast all the way there. I don't believe the top speed limiter was removed.

#17 ·
had mine at 141mph last week. Non-tuned all factory parts. I do have steeda cai and TB spacer and cordvoa tb will be reinstalling them shortly.

Reactions: Decepticon
#18 ·
It is disappointing if Ford set the limiter at 130. I thought the NHTSA set the top speed for most cars sold in the US at around 150? Also on any top speed run, wind must be considered. I have been on Hwy 40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff in my 2012 Focus and could barely hold 75mph driving into a 40+ mph headwind. The effective speed for the car would have been around 115 mph which is about all the Focus can muster on a good day. I do believe speed runs on the salt flats have to be back to back in each direction and the speed is averaged for any record setting runs, to eliminate the effect of wind.

#19 ·
Car manufacturers across the board have been limiting top speed on vehicles of their choosing for decades.

Regarding wind effects, C&D specifically rules that out by averaging two way directional runs.

#20 ·
131 MPH by GPS , unleashed E30 tune, on a closed course of course. I have no reason to drive that fast in any conceivable real world road situation, so I'm fine being limited to that speed.

Reactions: joebrez
#21 ·
Any new info on this? It seems everyone in this topic so far has hit a speed governor of one kind or another. If your tune pushes you to a 12 something 1/4 mile, you're rocking about 400hp, which should give you well above 170 MPH. I used to have a 300ZX turbo with 300HP that hit the speed governor at 155MPH like it hit a brick wall (similar to what people describe above). And top speed is about HP and aerodynamics, not so much about weight. The Fusion seems pretty aerodynamic to me.

#25 · (Edited)
Stock speed limiter is just under 138 mph in the ECU. However, I've noticed that the vehicle speed read by the ECU doesn't always match up with actual vehicle speed. For example, the speedometer speed may match GPS (10Hz/1Hz exactly) but the VSS/Vehicle Speed PID read by a datalogger can be off by several mph.

#27 ·
Back in the day they used to limit the MPH to the rating on the stock tires.

Actually the 13-16 Fusions did have a higher limiter (up to the same as our Sports) from the factory only if you ordered the summer tire option on the 19" wheels, as those were rated for a higher speed.

#31 ·
I hit 141 without a tune or any mods. Haven't had the chance to go any where to find out with my tune and mods.

#34 ·
I saw a friend's Sport get to 225 kph in Canada without a tune. And it was trying to faster but the limiter would kick in, and then it would slow and start accelerating again and you could feel it cut out again. But it would drift up a little and back down. That's around 140mph. It was at about 4500 feet elevation.

#37 ·
So I had a long drive and some open roads and with removing the limiters and upping the calculated limiters (ambient air, trans temp, etc) I got the car up to 155 before I was catching up to traffic and wanted to slow down before passing them. In Mexico of course. But I still had at least 1500 RPM in 6th gear before limiter so the car in my opinion is good for 160 MPH on a flat road. Here's the screenshot of my obd link.

Light Font Clock Gauge Gas

#38 ·
Just to add some more information about top speed, I've been poking around at the PCM settings for 2017 and 2018 (I don't have a copy of the HP Tuners read for any 2019s, nor do I know anybody who has such a read). The 2017s look like they are limited at 127 MPH from factory. The 2018s are limited at 138 MPH. In both cases you could get a few MPH higher at stock depending on the situation before you get cut off. And of course, as always, a tune changes this completely if you go that route.

Can't say anything about the 2019 unless someone with a 2019 wants to read it with their HP Tuners system and then we can take a look.

#39 ·
I also wanted to add that it would be really cool if anyone with a 3.0 AWD MKZ who has HP Tuners wants to read that in and provide a copy of the read, we could all learn a ton from that. We don't have a read on an MKZ 3.0 AWD yet as far as I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.