Buying a used 17 Sport (early build?), should I get extended warranty? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Buying a used 17 Sport (early build?), should I get extended warranty?

I've been trying to read these forums more and more as I become interested in the Fusion Sport. I'm getting pretty close to purchasing a used one in Canada going for about $21k CAD before taxes at a non-ford dealership (well known though). Has 77,000 km, looks to be in top shape from the pictures (I got the sales person to take extra pictures up close), and I'd be driving about 5 hours to go see it and pick it up. It's the cheapest 17 by a few thousand. Fully loaded.

However, one thing I came to notice was that it is likely an "early build". CarFax shows a first owner date of September 2016, so I'm assuming it was built somewhere between June and August 2016. I know that a small few on this forum had issues with the early builds (cylinder heads, oil pan leaks, PTU issues), and was wondering if it was worth taking the risk to buy this one without purchasing an extended warranty, or if the car has this kind of mileage, would I be safe? I know I have a small amount of powertrain left but

Carfax unfortunately does not show service history, but I do have the VIN. Could I take the VIN to ford and get them to look up what's been done to the car?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfus93 View Post
I've been trying to read these forums more and more as I become interested in the Fusion Sport. I'm getting pretty close to purchasing a used one in Canada going for about $21k CAD before taxes at a non-ford dealership (well known though). Has 77,000 km, looks to be in top shape from the pictures (I got the sales person to take extra pictures up close), and I'd be driving about 5 hours to go see it and pick it up. It's the cheapest 17 by a few thousand. Fully loaded.

However, one thing I came to notice was that it is likely an "early build". CarFax shows a first owner date of September 2016, so I'm assuming it was built somewhere between June and August 2016. I know that a small few on this forum had issues with the early builds (cylinder heads, oil pan leaks, PTU issues), and was wondering if it was worth taking the risk to buy this one without purchasing an extended warranty, or if the car has this kind of mileage, would I be safe? I know I have a small amount of powertrain left but

Carfax unfortunately does not show service history, but I do have the VIN. Could I take the VIN to ford and get them to look up what's been done to the car?

Hi mikfus. You can ask the Service Department at your local Ford Dealers to look up the VIN in the Ford OASIS system. It would list the service history of the vehicle (at least the service history performed by Ford). Whether a Service Department will do that or not, if/how much they will charge etc, depends on how friendly they are.

Would you be safe? Well, that is the big question for any used car purchase. Check it over carefully (fluid levels/leaks tires etc, etc.). Take it for a long test drive/drives. Ensure all the electronics and tech accessories are in proper working order etc. Have a shop or mechanic you can trust perform a comprehensive inspection. In other words, do all the things you would normally do when spending a lot of money to buy a used car.

If you post back the VIN, I should be able to give you the build date. A Ford Dealer can do that too, if they give you the OASIS report.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2530 View Post
Hi mikfus. You can ask the Service Department at your local Ford Dealers to look up the VIN in the Ford OASIS system. It would list the service history of the vehicle (at least the service history performed by Ford). Whether a Service Department will do that or not, if/how much they will charge etc, depends on how friendly they are.

Would you be safe? Well, that is the big question for any used car purchase. Check it over carefully (fluid levels/leaks tires etc, etc.). Take it for a long test drive/drives. Ensure all the electronics and tech accessories are in proper working order etc. Have a shop or mechanic you can trust perform a comprehensive inspection. In other words, do all the things you would normally do when spending a lot of money to buy a used car.

If you post back the VIN, I should be able to give you the build date. A Ford Dealer can do that too, if they give you the OASIS report.

Thanks for the prompt reply, and all the information, I greatly appreciate it.

The VIN is 3FA6P0VP2HR172608. I'm going to give my local dealer a call this morning to see if they can give me any service history on the vehicle.

As for the other things, of course. I'm going to get down and look underneath the car myself, take it in to be inspected, etc.

EDIT: Called the dealership, it was serviced at ford a lot, both for regular maintenance and repairs. I forgot to ask about build date but in service date was August 2016, not September like the Carfax stated. Seems overall it's not too bad compared to what I've seen on the forums.

July 2018: PTU Leak, reseal was done. Ball Joints replaced in front end of car.
Nov 2018: Back Hatch had water intrusion, caused a module to short and trunk release switch was replaced along with the trunk liner. She talked fast and I jotted down notes so sorry if this is incorrect how I explained.
August 2019: Check Engine Light came on for a bad O2 sensor. Replaced.
Unknown Date: Steering bolt recall was done.

Otherwise, she said no other issues have popped up. Still has remaining powertrain warranty until 100,000 km, for just under 2 years.

Last edited by mikfus93; 11-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, and all the information, I greatly appreciate it.

The VIN is 3FA6P0VP2HR172608. I'm going to give my local dealer a call this morning to see if they can give me any service history on the vehicle.

As for the other things, of course. I'm going to get down and look underneath the car myself, take it in to be inspected, etc.

EDIT: Called the dealership, it was serviced at ford a lot, both for regular maintenance and repairs. I forgot to ask about build date but in service date was August 2016, not September like the Carfax stated. Seems overall it's not too bad compared to what I've seen on the forums.

July 2018: PTU Leak, reseal was done. Ball Joints replaced in front end of car.
Nov 2018: Back Hatch had water intrusion, caused a module to short and trunk release switch was replaced along with the trunk liner. She talked fast and I jotted down notes so sorry if this is incorrect how I explained.
August 2019: Check Engine Light came on for a bad O2 sensor. Replaced.
Unknown Date: Steering bolt recall was done.

Otherwise, she said no other issues have popped up. Still has remaining powertrain warranty until 100,000 km, for just under 2 years.

Hi mikfus. Build date was 7/18/16

Those items are not too bad, as long as they were fixed correctly. If you are still interested, use those past repairs to negotiate the price down further.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I would recommend getting a Ford Protect/ESP plan. You can obtain pricing from online sellers here: https://www.google.com/search?client...Ford+ESP+plans

I have found Ziegler Ford to be the lowest priced, with Flood Ford a close second as far as lowest priced online sellers. Just scroll down that linked Google page for their websites. And both are far lower than my local Lincoln and Ford Dealerships offered. I have purchased the Lincoln Protect/ESP PremiumCare plan from Ziegler on my last 3 Lincolns.

Last edited by bbf2530; 11-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Garage
Quote:

I was in the same situation about 10-11 months ago. Came real close to pulling the trigger on two different used 17's. Was also really concerned about the known issues with the early builds. Luckily I ended up finding a brand new 17' at a Quebec Ford dealer about 10 hrs away from me. It had been sitting on their lot for over a year. I basically paid the same as I was going to pay for a low mileage used one. Highly doubt there's any new 17's still laying around but there is some new 18's being discounted nearly 10k. And they will go lower for sure. Not sure where you are located in Canada but here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. Looks mostly out west. These new 18's could be had for $32-33k. Thats killer value IMO for a brand new Sport. And in Canada all Sports have 401A all options. Their desperate to get rid of these 2018 cars they will ship them too you anywhere in the country for next to nothing or free. Mine was delivered on a hauler to my door at no extra cost. I never saw the car till it arrived at my house.

If you go with a used one I'd only consider an extended warranty if you can get it at a big discount. I even considered one on my new car but it was going to run me around 4k just didn't seem worth it, unless you have the cylinder head issue...

Good luck !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFS.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	25333  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 FFS Platinum White / 401A, GFB DV+, Stainless steel sill plates, 20% HP Tint, Gloss black vinyl chrome delete, roof, spoiler, side mirrors and front & rear emblems
2019 Edge Titanium Platinum White / 301A, OEM Hood deflector, OEM splash guards, all windows tinted, Husky floor liners front & back, Ford cargo tray
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 / Trifecta Tuned, BBK CAI, FlowMaster American Thunder
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:26 PM
OX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkLahey View Post
Highly doubt there's any new 17's still laying around
Still 3 or 4 nationwide on Autotrader, and they don't list every ford for sale in the country, so probably more than we'd think.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Still 3 or 4 nationwide on Autotrader, and they don't list every ford for sale in the country, so probably more than we'd think.

Ya not surprised there's some in the US but he'll be purchasing the car in Canada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 FFS Platinum White / 401A, GFB DV+, Stainless steel sill plates, 20% HP Tint, Gloss black vinyl chrome delete, roof, spoiler, side mirrors and front & rear emblems
2019 Edge Titanium Platinum White / 301A, OEM Hood deflector, OEM splash guards, all windows tinted, Husky floor liners front & back, Ford cargo tray
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkLahey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post

Ya not surprised there's some in the US but he'll be purchasing the car in Canada.
Yes, unfortunately new isn’t exactly an option for 17s here, and with how much they depreciate here, I wouldn’t want to go new anyways.

I put the deal on hold for now until I can do a bit more research on it. It’s already priced almost 3-5k lower than other similar Fusion Sports, and the dealer isn’t willing to negotiate on the price. There is other V6 sports closer to me (hour drive vs 5.5 for this one) and at ford dealers, but they won’t haggle either...frustrating to say the least. Trying to see if maybe I can find CPO that way I’d be more comfortable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Garage
Hi Mikfus,

I highly recommend the CPO option.

Curret Ride: 2017 FF Sport w/EG 401A
Previous: 2016 FF SE 2.0, 2013 FF S, 2011 FF SE

Current Mods: Steeda Strut Brace; K&N Filter; Mishimoto Catch Can; GFB DV+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately new isn’t exactly an option for 17s here, and with how much they depreciate here, I wouldn’t want to go new anyways.

I put the deal on hold for now until I can do a bit more research on it. It’s already priced almost 3-5k lower than other similar Fusion Sports, and the dealer isn’t willing to negotiate on the price. There is other V6 sports closer to me (hour drive vs 5.5 for this one) and at ford dealers, but they won’t haggle either...frustrating to say the least. Trying to see if maybe I can find CPO that way I’d be more comfortable.
I felt the same way never considered new but at 28% off MSRP, full warranty, accessories and delivery to my door I could not pass it down. I've been driving it for 10 months now and I could sell it for what I paid so zero depreciation in first year when you normally loose the most. Just sayin don't discount the idea there will be some 2018's available soon if not now for discounts like that. A low miles CPO 2017 especially with a post Jan 2017 build date a great option too. Best to be patient unless your desperate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page