Notched my underbody cover to fit the UP FMIC - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Notched my underbody cover to fit the UP FMIC

I still need to clean up the edges but other than that... fits perfect. As I was cutting out the spot for the FMIC I was thinking I may end up not using it because of how much I was cutting off for it to fit but in the end when its installed it doesnt seem like a lot of missing and still covers a ton of stuff and bolts up everywhere to tighten up the bumper and the wheel well skirts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_191817_1568591611436.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_191858_1568591628248.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	24939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_191839_1568591713232.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24945  

2019 Velocity Brew Fusion Sport
Steeda Cold Air - Borla S-Type mufflers w/Magnaflow x-pipe - Turbosmart Dual Port BOV - UP FMIC (Garrett core) - Steeda Hood Struts - Illuminated FUSION Door Sill plates - Steeda Oil Separator - Carbon fiber chrome delete - RB Mud flaps - Savanini shift paddle extenstions - Bright Trax Puddle Lights - Unleashed Tune

To be installed: Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injection kit w/ braided lines and trunk upgrade (waiting on throttle body spacer with 1/8" plugs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hmmm, while the fit is tight you shouldn't have had to do that. I know I personally forget from time to time and drag that cover on a curb when parking. It is the only thing that protects the FMIC from direct contact.
DaMiFo likes this.

2017 Fusion Sport Oxford White, 401A, Driver Assist Pkg, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Hood Strut Kit, Rear Sway bar, CAI Kit, Tracy Lewis Performance Signature Series Dual Valve Catch Can, Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 Signature Series Motor Oil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
It's a tight fit but I didn't cut anything off for a bit of protection. I have a levels though.

STB, hood lift, Unleashed V7, RSB, jckng rails, Edge antenna, MKZ gauges, VelossaTech Big Mouth, Lncln actv sus, Bambi mode, engine noise delete, 4 quick tap blinker, urethane filled RTM, partial filled diff bushing, CAI w/lid, Levels intercooler, lower grille, oil separator, GFB DV+, Steeda springs, lvl 3 taillights, heated armrest, Mondeo power folding/Dual AutoDim Side Mirrors, Mondeo hatchback wing, SS-TUNING fender flares, Flowmaster 17226 Axle Back, EPP Intk/Chrg Pipes, Maxbore 65mm TB

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Ya no intercooler should need cutting if it's to big to fit go back to the drawing board 1/2" isn't going to do much of anything on this family fun car.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Sorry VM, I hate to pile on but I was concerned when the under body cover didn't seem to fit after dropping in the new FMIC....it took a little finesse & bending but I got the cover on....
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I entertained not cutting a notch out and the amount of stress the bolts would of put onto the front bumper would of been too much it would of cracked. Maybe mine sits lower, not sure. The first pic you can see how much it would of had to bend, there's just no way it would of went without the bumper or the cover breaking. But, ive never scraped parking, every car since my mustang GT when I was 19 I've taken care not to ever scrape parking or rash the rims. Still batting 1000 hehe
Blue Fuze likes this.

2019 Velocity Brew Fusion Sport
Steeda Cold Air - Borla S-Type mufflers w/Magnaflow x-pipe - Turbosmart Dual Port BOV - UP FMIC (Garrett core) - Steeda Hood Struts - Illuminated FUSION Door Sill plates - Steeda Oil Separator - Carbon fiber chrome delete - RB Mud flaps - Savanini shift paddle extenstions - Bright Trax Puddle Lights - Unleashed Tune

To be installed: Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injection kit w/ braided lines and trunk upgrade (waiting on throttle body spacer with 1/8" plugs)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 AM

I will end up cutting mine if there is more than I feel comfortable protruding, unless a replacement is cheap. I'd be concerned about the stress on the plastic too.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityBrew View Post
I entertained not cutting a notch out and the amount of stress the bolts would of put onto the front bumper would of been too much it would of cracked. Maybe mine sits lower, not sure. The first pic you can see how much it would of had to bend, there's just no way it would of went without the bumper or the cover breaking. But, ive never scraped parking, every car since my mustang GT when I was 19 I've taken care not to ever scrape parking or rash the rims. Still batting 1000 hehe
agreed...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 AM

Garage
This is the common core sizing available. Anything smaller would be custom and drive the price up. Mine works fine with the inner cover off but with thre main shield. Warm it up and it'll comply easier to put back on.

STB, hood lift, Unleashed V7, RSB, jckng rails, Edge antenna, MKZ gauges, VelossaTech Big Mouth, Lncln actv sus, Bambi mode, engine noise delete, 4 quick tap blinker, urethane filled RTM, partial filled diff bushing, CAI w/lid, Levels intercooler, lower grille, oil separator, GFB DV+, Steeda springs, lvl 3 taillights, heated armrest, Mondeo power folding/Dual AutoDim Side Mirrors, Mondeo hatchback wing, SS-TUNING fender flares, Flowmaster 17226 Axle Back, EPP Intk/Chrg Pipes, Maxbore 65mm TB
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Stopped by.a shop today to find out cost to install. No garage, so I don't want to do it in my driveway.

Couple of questions:

How long did it take to complete?

Does everyone's protrude as much as VB's?

If you had shop do it, what did it cost?

I don't think I want to cut mine, if so I want it sealed back up. Shop couldn't give me an exact price, but said ~$500-600 to install it. $100 or so to heat and bend splash guard. Or a couple hundred to cut it and add plastic cover to seal it.

Reason I am thinking I don't want to cut mine is then the air going in lower grill may be leaving around cutout rather than flowing across intercooler.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page