Just started experiencing the vibration issue after tire rotation - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just started experiencing the vibration issue after tire rotation

I recently hit around 3500 miles on my car, so I took it in for the oil change and went with the tire rotation on the works package.
First time I took the car onto the freeway I noticed almost immediately a back and forth vibration coming through the steering wheel. It changes the entire feel of the car from a peaceful ride to a nervous one. It is progressively worse with speed, but I am noticing it even as low as 40mph now because I know what to look for. I don't seem to have any pulling in the wheel, just this phantom vibration.
I've hit so many potholes that it is possible a tire was damaged around the time I had the oil change done, but I did notice this problem immediately after getting on the freeway after that tire rotation.

Here is a video where I've tried to capture the visual aspect of the problem, I can even see the shake in the wheel. It is more noticeable from 5 seconds onward as I could only keep the camera so still. Watch the upshift paddle shake compared to the wiper stalk.

I have a feeling this is such a common problem that perhaps by now a common resolution for this has been determined? I've tried lots of searching, but it seems to always be either a bad tire, a rebalance issue, some have even replaced axles, and for some none of these things have fixed it. Also car does not have lane-assist or any of the nanny features, it is 401A hardtop only.
Curious what to do next.

Last edited by detriot; 02-07-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Not sure if this will fix your vibrations, but I learned from others here that our wheels/lugs should be torqued to 150 and all other Fusions are torqued to only 100. It's a good idea to check the torque right after a rotation to make sure they did it right. Then retorque a week or two later after it has settled.

Ruby Red Sport
Performance Mods: LMS 93 Octane Stage 3 v6 tune, aFe Dry Performance drop-in filter, Darkstar rear motor mount
Cosmetic Mods: "Fusion" moved to rear spear, Chrome delete front grille and window trim, Ruby Red Ford Emblems, 25% window tint, moved front plate higher to not block IC, antenna delete.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 AM

There is an obvious issue there, most people have experienced the slight vibration after
the car sits overnight, including me.
I played with the tire pressure and found when the tires are inflated to 43 psi the vibration is mostly gone.
Stock pressure is 39 psi per the door sticker.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
In addition to what has been posted -
1. Check to make sure there is not a snow/ice build-up in one of the front wheels.
2. While tougher to look for, a wheel weight could have been knocked off.
3. Get front wheels/tires balanced.

Good luck.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 AM

Garage
If you just started getting vibration after tire rotation, more than likely it's a balance issue. If your rears were out of balance, you would probably not have noticed it, but now that they are on the front, it is much more noticeable
Vert and pjax513 like this.

2017 Shadow Black
Steeda Oil Seperator
Steeda CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Unleashed E30 Tune (have not flashed yet)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like I won't be able to follow up on this for a while around 10 inches of snow expected tomorrow and I don't expect the dealer to take it out and check for vibration issues when the roads will be that terrible. May have to wait til' next week.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 AM
OX1

As mentioned would check tightness of lugs on all tires immediately.
If OK, would ask for road force balance next.
If that does not work, would rotate tires back.

None of that works, get new tires, especially if they are Goodyears.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 PM

I had a '95 Jetta GL that developed a steering wheel shake when getting two new tires after getting a bad puncture in a worn tire and the old rear rotated to the front. Hadn't noticed anything when they were on the rear. Turns out that one of the tires had some broken cords likely from hitting a pothole too hard. Was hard to find.
ArthurUSCG likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detriot View Post
I recently hit around 3500 miles on my car, so I took it in for the oil change and went with the tire rotation on the works package.
First time I took the car onto the freeway I noticed almost immediately a back and forth vibration coming through the steering wheel. It changes the entire feel of the car from a peaceful ride to a nervous one. It is progressively worse with speed, but I am noticing it even as low as 40mph now because I know what to look for. I don't seem to have any pulling in the wheel, just this phantom vibration.
I've hit so many potholes that it is possible a tire was damaged around the time I had the oil change done, but I did notice this problem immediately after getting on the freeway after that tire rotation.

Here is a video where I've tried to capture the visual aspect of the problem, I can even see the shake in the wheel. It is more noticeable from 5 seconds onward as I could only keep the camera so still. Watch the upshift paddle shake compared to the wiper stalk.

I have a feeling this is such a common problem that perhaps by now a common resolution for this has been determined? I've tried lots of searching, but it seems to always be either a bad tire, a rebalance issue, some have even replaced axles, and for some none of these things have fixed it. Also car does not have lane-assist or any of the nanny features, it is 401A hardtop only.
Curious what to do next.
You didn't accidentally turn ON your lane keeping assist did you? That shake looked familiar.
Oreo likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 AM

Garage
So @detriot - did you ever resolve the issue?

2017 Shadow Black
Steeda Oil Seperator
Steeda CAI
Unleashed 93 Tune
Unleashed E30 Tune (have not flashed yet)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page