Oil pan leaking, and why is it plastic - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Oil pan leaking, and why is it plastic

So hello everybody, I hope getting things answered on here is easier than trying to search threads. I have a 2017 Sport and just got underneath and it looks like its leaking pretty good. Not sure why anybody on the planet would put a plastic oil plan on this car or any car, but also a weird half turn oil plug? Like wtf. Any who, does somebody make an aluminum replacement with a real drain plug?
And now that this old girl is broken in I'm ready to try and get 500hp out of her.

Well cherio folks,

Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeloquin View Post
So hello everybody, I hope getting things answered on here is easier than trying to search threads. I have a 2017 Sport and just got underneath and it looks like its leaking pretty good. Not sure why anybody on the planet would put a plastic oil plan on this car or any car, but also a weird half turn oil plug? Like wtf. Any who, does somebody make an aluminum replacement with a real drain plug?

And now that this old girl is broken in I'm ready to try and get 500hp out of her.

Well cherio folks,

Later.
Plastic pans are becoming the norm for weight savings and for noise reduction. Ford has switched to the 1/4 turn plug for most of the engines now. TBH I like the plug, it's easy to remove but you have to have the catch pan up close and it better be able to take all 6 qts in 15 seconds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 Lighting Blue
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
Plastic pans are becoming the norm for weight savings and for noise reduction. Ford has switched to the 1/4 turn plug for most of the engines now. TBH I like the plug, it's easy to remove but you have to have the catch pan up close and it better be able to take all 6 qts in 15 seconds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I like it as well, it's simple and can reinstall with my fingers. I was ready for this vehicle. I have lots of practice when I learned my lesson nine years ago with the Ford 6.7L and this new style pan/drain when 13 qts evacuated within 15 seconds from the side...

2017 Fusion Sport 2.7L 401A (06/17)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Garage
Another benefit is the pan won't corrode or rot once things get old. Up here in New England and other states in the rust belt, every little bit of rust-free materials helps.

FWIW, I like the half turn plug too. You know exactly when the oil is about to come out. This car hands down has the easiest oil change I've ever done in a home garage.

'17 Fusion Sport, Magnetic 401A
(MKZ Cluster / TTR Garrett FMIC / Titanium Tail Lights / Black 10-spoke Escape rims / 5Hundred Painted Badges / Edge Antenna / Mondeo Door Sills / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / Ceramic Tints)
'14 Edge Sport AWD (Daily)
Previous: '10 Focus SES (Totaled, because people text and drive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 AM

Garage
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got one of those coming Monday.

But also remember plastic today isn't like plastic even 20 years ago. I use plastic rhino ramps and they don't even flinch when I drive up on em
DaMiFo likes this.

2019 Velocity Brew Fusion Sport
Steeda Cold Air
Borla S-Type mufflers w/Magnaflow x-pipe
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
UP FMIC (Garrett core)
Steeda Hood Struts
Illuminated FUSION Door Sill plates
Steeda Oil Separator
Chrome delete, carbon fiber wrapped
RB Mud flaps
Savanini shift paddle extenstions
Unleashed Tune

To be installed: Reische 170* Tstat
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:25 AM

This kind of thing happens even on metal pans the gasket fails and thats it you have a leak, it sucks but its a easy fix.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityBrew View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got one of those coming Monday.

But also remember plastic today isn't like plastic even 20 years ago. I use plastic rhino ramps and they don't even flinch when I drive up on em
The newer plastic Rhino Ramps are known to fail very easily, they're not the same Rhino Ramps from 15 years ago unfortunately. I switched to Race Ramps, a bit more expensive but you're basically driving onto 2 high density foam blocks that won't collapse/crack.

* 2017 Fusion Sport, 12.7 @ 108 mph tune-only (early tune of mine, bad trans settings), full trunk w/ lunch, and dirty paper air filter
* 2014 SHO non-PP, 12.4 @ 111 mph tune-only, all day long with dirty paper air filter and worn out 30k RS-As
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Included in reason for using plastic oil pan should probably be reduced cost for the manufacturer. I've got no issue with either the pan or the drain plug although I did purchase a spare plug to put on the shelf (~$3 at friendly dealer) since the O-Ring is not sold separately. Side note is that I did have to replace the oil pan on daughter's ZX-2 due to it rusting.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

So my problem with this whole situation is my car has 48k miles on it and it is leaking like it need a gasket over haul on the whole motor. Like my 2017 is leaving oil stains on friends driveways and I have to joke as if I am driving a Mercedes that leaks all the time. I would add 5 lbs of weight to my car if it meant no leaking oil. And furthermore I understand yes it is super easy to release the drain plug, but its also easy for anybody else that you made mad to reach up underneath and give that bad boy a half twist and now your car is out of oil.

I would say it is worse for the F150 owners because their vehicle is higher off the ground and easier to get a hold of.

But anyways. I am swapping it out regardless, and if nobody on this forum has a fix I guess I will move on to another forum.

Thank you for the help.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 PM

Welcome to the club. I’ve had my oil pan swapped 3x (under warranty). It’s been 15k miles since the last one so I guess my dealer got it right

SCT Livewire/Unleashed Tune, Steeda CAI, Continental Extreme DW, Vogtland Springs, Stillen Roof Spoiler, Kicker Solo-Baric L7S Sub, Garageline 20mm spacers, Magnaflow custom exhaust, Darkstar RMM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page