Is there a trick to get the trans out of manual shift mode while in sport mode? - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Is there a trick to get the trans out of manual shift mode while in sport mode?

So probably 80% of the time, I keep my car in sport mode. I like the stiffer suspension, more aggressive engine note, stiffer shifts, etc. I also tend to use the paddles to downshift fairly regularly, even while it's still in automatic mode.

It never fails... almost every single time I do that, I ended up pulling away from a stop sign or light, with the RPMs cresting 6500RPM as I realize that the car is still stuck in manual mode, forcing me to pull it out of sport mode only to put it back into sport mode, and continue on my way. Sometimes I catch myself first, albeit rare, and manage to double press the sport button before pulling away.

Is there a way to switch the car back into automatic mode, while still in sport? (without manually turning sport mode off and back on) It seems like a really obvious thing that Ford should of realized during development of this car. Like pushing both paddles together at once puts it back into automatic shifting mode or something.

Does this exist and I'm just missing it? Does this annoy anyone else? lol
ergoman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Curious also, I just press the button twice.
qwerty3089 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stock/gloss black roof-5HUNDRED designs emblems
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3089 View Post
So probably 80% of the time, I keep my car in sport mode. I like the stiffer suspension, more aggressive engine note, stiffer shifts, etc. I also tend to use the paddles to downshift fairly regularly, even while it's still in automatic mode.

It never fails... almost every single time I do that, I ended up pulling away from a stop sign or light, with the RPMs cresting 6500RPM as I realize that the car is still stuck in manual mode, forcing me to pull it out of sport mode only to put it back into sport mode, and continue on my way. Sometimes I catch myself first, albeit rare, and manage to double press the sport button before pulling away.

Is there a way to switch the car back into automatic mode, while still in sport? (without manually turning sport mode off and back on) It seems like a really obvious thing that Ford should of realized during development of this car. Like pushing both paddles together at once puts it back into automatic shifting mode or something.

Does this exist and I'm just missing it? Does this annoy anyone else? lol
Since I don't have a FS yet, I'll just go by previous experience. You would most likely have to take it out of sport in order to do that. Once you manually shift gears, the program assumes you have taken control. I had exactly the same situation with my '05 Subaru Legacy GT. I'd be willing to bet that's what the deal is.
qwerty3089 likes this.

I've loved cars since I was 5 years old. I would walk through parking lots when I was 12 years old and say "That's a Dodge Charger, it has a 383 engine"

'10 Ford Mustang GT
'14 GMC Acadia Denali
'05 Subaru Legacy GT

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM

its actually quite simple. to disengage manual shifting mode but stay in sport, simply hold the upshift paddle for about 3-5 seconds, until the gear number disappears from next to the tacho. viola! you're back into auto!

it might also work with the downshift paddle but I have yet to try it since most of the time I want the next gear up and then to put it in auto...
1153, G82FS, Kevin74 and 7 others like this.

Bone Stock. Lightning Blue, 401a, Cooled seats. Motegi Racing MR107 wheels, 20"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_cousin_vinny View Post
its actually quite simple. to disengage manual shifting mode but stay in sport, simply hold the upshift paddle for about 3-5 seconds, until the gear number disappears from next to the tacho. viola! you're back into auto!

it might also work with the downshift paddle but I have yet to try it since most of the time I want the next gear up and then to put it in auto...
NO WAY!!!!!

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I honestly didn't expect there to be a trick to do this lol

thanks for the tip!
your_cousin_vinny likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3089 View Post
NO WAY!!!!!

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I honestly didn't expect there to be a trick to do this lol

thanks for the tip!
no prob. I was curious about it too a while back so I went digging. can't remember where I found the solution, but I'm glad I did. I hated that sudden panic when the car revs to redline when you're not expecting it... lol
qwerty3089, Donjohnk and mantra1 like this.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_cousin_vinny View Post

OK, but you have to tell me, isn't it faster to press the sport button twice rather than hold one of the paddles until the number disappears? You can choose sport while on the fly, right?

I've loved cars since I was 5 years old. I would walk through parking lots when I was 12 years old and say "That's a Dodge Charger, it has a 383 engine"

'10 Ford Mustang GT
'14 GMC Acadia Denali
'05 Subaru Legacy GT
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Yes. But do you want to confuse the trans any more than it already is? LOL
my thoughts exactly.
1153, qwerty3089 and Cobra427 like this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Garage
Lol. I didn't like the idea of constantly turning sport on and off. Just one of those things that I feel use too much and it will stop working properly. Thanks for the help figuring it out.
1153 and qwerty3089 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stock/gloss black roof-5HUNDRED designs emblems
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
I do the same thing, I keep Sport on for the stiff suspension, and I'll use the paddles to keep it in a high gear so the engine isn't revving for no reason. And like qwerty said, I'll eventually get to a light, start going again and realize I'm almost redlining it.

I'm working on this with someone. I'm not gonna post how to do it to respect the other guy, as I didn't discover it, I'm only helping with the testing. But don't worry, he'll share soon.

Here's this for now...
1153, G82FS, Kevin74 and 4 others like this.

'17 Sport, Magnetic 401A
'10 Focus SES (Daily Driver)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page