Steeda intake install - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Steeda intake install

So I got my Steeda intake in the mail yesterday and started the install.. Yes.. started.. I guess the having to ream out the drill holes and the difficulty in fitting it is part of the experience? The stock airbox has angled intake pipes that make it FAR easier to connect the intake hoses. The Steeda box doesn't and that's posing a bit of a problem.

It may also be my lack of mechanical knowledge but fitting the trim that seals the box against the hood is difficult to say the least. I recall the AirRaid CAI I purchased for less already had that installed. Going to work on it again today and see if I can work out the fitment issues. Otherwise the stock intake is going back on.
cockerdogs likes this.

2017 Sport, Shadow black, 401A package, Navi, Moonroof. Mods: 3M Crystalline tint (40/60), 3M carbon fiber wrap over the chrome, Unleashed tune, K&N drop-in. Steeda strut tower brace. Steeda CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Found part of the problem... The outer diameter of the velocity stacks are different where they connect to the vehicle tubing. One is a hair larger than 2 and 7/8 the other is a touch larger than 3 and 1/16th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170202_091603.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	7113  
cockerdogs likes this.

2017 Sport, Shadow black, 401A package, Navi, Moonroof. Mods: 3M Crystalline tint (40/60), 3M carbon fiber wrap over the chrome, Unleashed tune, K&N drop-in. Steeda strut tower brace. Steeda CAI
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
I guess it's not "plug and play"? IIRC, the pictures showing Steeda's owner's car showed that they put a little slit where the molding makes drastic vertical turns. Check the pictures on their site.
So far my opinion is no. I know folks have had issues with MDesign but that intake was far easier to install as was my AirRaid.
1153 likes this.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I called and they're going to find out if I was sent an incorrect velocity stack. It's not intended, though. The stock tubes are the same size on both ends. The larger stack required reaming of the box (a small amount) and simply won't fit on the intake tubes.
cockerdogs likes this.

Last edited by matt_m; 06-18-2017 at 08:37 PM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
I'm a little surprised at all this seeing that the owner has one on his Sport. Hope they get you set straight.
They're sending another stack out. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.
1153, cockerdogs and mantra1 like this.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Mine showed up this morning right before work. Hopefully, this isn't an issue with all of these first units.
1153 and cockerdogs like this.

'17 Ford Fusion Sport in Lightning Blue
401A, Adaptive Cruise, Drivers Assist
Poorly installed Steeda CAI, WeatherTech Mats, EcoBeast
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellingdog View Post
Mine showed up this morning right before work. Hopefully, this isn't an issue with all of these first units.
Agreed. I hope you have an easier time than I have, so far. When you're installing the velocity stacks, I'd put in the screws closest to the bottom of the box, first.

Let us know how the fitment of the box is.

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

wow, this just shows the attention to detail that was put into this for the amount of money that it costs, this should not be happening.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Banned

considering Steeda's horrible track record across the forums, I'll just assume they tried to ship you their test one.

Last edited by matt_m; 06-18-2017 at 08:36 PM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 AM

Garage
Bbq
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhalstead View Post
considering Steeda's horrible track record across the forums, I'll just assume they tried to ship you their test one.
Hmmmm. I rarely hear negative feedback about Steeda and they are praised on the 2 mustang forums I frequently visit.
Wildcat Birdie and Flew like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page