Velossa Tech - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Velossa Tech

Velossa is designing the 2017 Sport intake next week. I am in contact with them and will be getting an intake from them. I will post a picture and video as soon as mine arrives. Also if you would mind follow my Instagram -Dwrreck5

They are going to sponsor my car if I could get some follows that would be awesome. Thanks. I can get some discount codes from Velossa if anyone is interested in getting one just follow my instagram!!
MattQ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwreck View Post
Velossa is designing the 2017 Sport intake next week. I am in contact with them and will be getting an intake from them. I will post a picture and video as soon as mine arrives. Also if you would mind follow my Instagram -Dwrreck5

They are going to sponsor my car if I could get some follows that would be awesome. Thanks. I can get some discount codes from Velossa if anyone is interested in getting one just follow my instagram!!
Depending on fit and function, a group buy would be nice.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It should be a direct bolt fit no modifications required. I will update everyone next week?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwreck View Post

Let me know what you find out. Interested in adding this to my mods, if feasible.

2017 Fusion Magnetic 401A, Driver Assist, Nav, Roof
Tinted Windows
LMS Stage3 v5 93 Tune
Tower Brace/Hood Struts by Steeda
Twin Air Intakes by steeda
Magna Flo Resonator/Jones Turbo tube mufflers exhaust system
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh don't worry I will!!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 PM

really depends on what it looks like and how much it will improve air flow -
TomS likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
like everyone else here def interested in more info

2017 Lightning Blue Fusion Sport - Livernois 93 Octane Tune
401A, Moonroof, All Weather Floor Mats, Boomba BOV Adapter, aFe Filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So this is what it will look like. They have different colors so you can match you your car color or do black to hide it behind your grille!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	10834  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 PM

I will be interested to see fitment and performance from some of these guys ordering. If its decent, I might pick one up.

Ruby Red 401a with Cooled Seats
Unleashed Tune 91 Performance
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Hello everyone. Dan here. I am very glad to be a part of your community.

I wanted to comment on a few things, I see a lot of excitement!

Firstly, the intake was designed with many constraints in mind. One of which was ease of installation. When we set off to design it, we had to make sacrifices in certain places so that people wouldnt have to cut up their car. The shape of the intake is the way it is for a few reasons, ease of installation and minimal modification to the car as well as minimal pressure drop. The original first pass design was never pursued because it would have required serious cutting of the radiator front support which is made of a very tough fiberglass reinforced polymer. This design does a great job of delivering airflow to the engine despite it having to change direction more than once. Although that is not optimal generally speaking, my personal experience was a CFD analyst for the gas turbine industry and I was tasked to analyze flow paths of turbine engines for a number of years, I optimized the flow path of this induction piece using the same techniques I would on a turbine engine. I also run the CFD analyses on these intakes as that is our staple, we are notorious for being rigorous with the engineering.

The second concept I wanted to dive into is isentropic compression. Your centrifugal compressors heat up the air by compressing it, not by the metal transferring heat into the air. The air is moving near the speed of sound, it isnt inside the volute long enough to pick up heat from the surrounding metal. I think another nice fellow pointed that out in this very thread.

When inlet conditions for a centrifugal compressor change, the outlet condition changes are amplified due to compressor efficiency losses. Centrifugul compressors are pressure multipliers, whatever pressure the compressor sees going in, comes out in some ratio set by the wastegate and controlled by your ECU. But lets talk about the inlet temperature that the compressor sees. The ratio that temperature comes out is not the same as the pressure ratio. Temperature has its own ratio called temperature ratio (lol?), and it is dependent on compressor speed, inlet temperature and compressor efficiency, which by the way stinks for these compressors, something like 65-70% if I am not mistaken. The temperature of the air coming out of the compressor is HEAVILY dependent on inlet temperature. The isentropic equation doesn't lie, that's just physics. Reducing your turbocharger inlet air temperature will reduce the outlet temperature by a much larger proportion. Your charge temperature will go down because your intercooler wont have to work as hard. For guys like me who live in south florida, this is huge.

But that isn't the real purpose of the big mouth. We call it a ram air because it is a pressure booster to the inlet of the turbocharger. The name is irrelevant to me, as to who uses it and in what way. I am talking gases now, we are just playing with dynamic pressure.

The compressor inlet is trying to produce vacuum, this in itself is detrimental to compressor efficiency. That is, creating blockage infront of the compressor inducer. That is essentially what any car intake, filter system does. It really comes down to the air filter and underhood packaging, and turbochargers suffer because of this.

Remember how those inlet conditions are important? If your turbo is targeting, say 21 psi boost, it will control the turbine wastegate such that the compressor is spinning at just the right speed to attains target boost, the inlet pressure of compressor being slightly higher using an intake like this, allows the compressor to attain target boost at a lower impeller speed. Very small changes in the inlet pressure of a compressor that is already running on the ragged edge of performance (you guys overclock the **** out of these little turbos) have profound effects on compressor performance. Essentially, this intake is designed to make it easier for your compressor to 'suck', it reduces vacuum work when the car is in motion by using the dynamic pressure built up in front of the car. It works best on the highway, above 60-65 mph. We have done data logs in Focus RS's, by the time they were at the back half of the 1/4 mile drag race, the airbox absolute pressure rose by 0.1-0.2 psi, enough to show up as equivalent to a 4-8 hp gain depending on mods and tune.

An easy way to visualize the inlet conditions, imagine you are drag racing in Colorado vs Miami, drag racers use a term called DA or density altitude to compare the performance of a car 6000 feet above sea level to one at sea level. The air pressure up there is much less dense so it isn't 'fair' to make comparisons between one car that is obviously making less power due to the inlet conditions being different, hence the DA correction factor. But your turbo doesnt get this factor, it has to spin much much faster at that altitude to attain target boost. You lose power because the faster your turbo spins the less efficient it gets and the more heat it generates. Compressors have a mass flow limit, a lot of the ecoboost engines are nearly at that limit stock. Having any form of frontal air ram or high pressure induction is almost a necessity.
I am sure you guys who drag race know how sensitive trap speeds and ETs are to DA.

I could go on and on about the beauty if this piece and the performance benefit I know you will love, but I will leave that to you guys. We have been making these intakes for the Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST and Mustang GT for about 1.5 years now with nothing but astounding support and positive reviews. I hate to sound like a salesman, that isn't who I am, I was and is an engineer first.

I wanted to make sure it was cool with moderators that I post here, I am not selling the intake because I havent even confirmed that it fits the 2017. Once I confirm fitment and intend to sell, I would like to become a supporting vendor.

Thanks for listening.

D
G82FS, lyee, Flew and 6 others like this.

Last edited by VelossaTech; 05-08-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page