The Cooled Seat Conundrum - 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum
View Poll Results: Are your cooled seats working as intended?
Yes! Back and Bottom! 11 44.00%
Nope! Just "wet pants" 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

The Cooled Seat Conundrum

Its been a topic of discussion on various other threads, and there seems to be a lack of consensus on the topic.

Here is the matter of fact:

THE COOLED SEATS IN THE 2017 FUSION SPORT OPERATE ON BOTH THE BOTTOM AND BACK.

What I think we can conclude from the continued discussion, much like we did for the ACM/dead battery problem, is that we may have found another design fault with the car.

I, like many others, thought at first that the seats were cooled on the bottom only. That is, until I was delighted by cool air on my back one day seemingly out of the blue, only to have it back on my butt only the next time. perplexing to say the least.

I think this might be the cause of the "wet pants" sensation, as the cool air is only able to escape through the seat bottom, the excess air is rapidly cooling the area...

If anyone has done any experimenting or can provide any insight to the matter, please share!!!

I'll go poking around this weekend to see if I can re-create the conditions that actually got the back to cool and work backwards from there...

If I can't figure it out this weekend, its going in to the dealer to be figured out. I'm a firm believer in not "just living with something" when its not working as intended. That's why I got an 8 year extended warranty.

Bone Stock. Lightning Blue, 401a, Cooled seats. Motegi Racing MR107 wheels, 20"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 AM

mine seem to eventually cool the back, but it usually takes longer than the immediate feeling from the bottom. So I am not sure which way to go with this, as it makes me wonder is it only sometimes that the back is working, or something else. I thought that the air just originated at the bottom, and eventually flowed up the back cooling that as well. Its the same with the heated seats.

Ruby Red 401a with Cooled Seats
Unleashed Tune 91 Performance
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM

If you are wearing linen clothing with no undergarments they will be quick to notice and effective but if you are wearing thick jeans and a shirt that doesn't "breath" it will be significantly less noticeable if not unnoticeable.
RockinZ28 likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

My heated seats worked flawlessly all winter. got nice and toasty, bottom and back, almost immediately and on the highest setting almost painfully.

The cooled seats however, after feeling them in correct operation the one time, definitely have some kind of problem. the one day they worked flawlessly, the air was coming from the cooled portion of the back rest just as forcefully as it normally does from the bottom, and it was almost immediately after turning it on, just like the bottom.

every other time, the bottom gets extremely cooled, very quickly, and I get little or nothing out of the back after a prolonged period.

I want them to function like they did that one time, every time, because it was really, truly glorious. It felt so good to have the cooled air jetting from the back like it does from the bottom. that is what I expect from cooled seats

edit: I always turn them on after I leave the gym to help me cool off, same sort of breathable shorts and thin t-shirt every day. The day it worked well, it was extremely noticeable compared to every other day. it was a genuine shock to have it cooling my back in the same way it cools my butt
Kevin74 likes this.

Bone Stock. Lightning Blue, 401a, Cooled seats. Motegi Racing MR107 wheels, 20"

Last edited by your_cousin_vinny; 05-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to rayooooo
I notice similar varying operation on the cooled seats in my 2015 Fusion Titanium. Sometimes they seem to work better than others, although they always eventually get cool. I never thought much of it until reading this thread.

OBTW - Newbie here, just ordered (yesterday) a new Fusion Sport which should show up in 8 weeks.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 PM

This is what makes a forum like this so valuable.
I just get wet pants. Even when I'm driving sedately, lol.
I searched all over trying to find some sort of confirmation from Ford as to what should be expected to no avail. I didn't trust the dealership to give me the right answer, which is sad. Would rather put my trust in complete strangers on an Internet forum lol.

Blue Lightning
UNLEASHED 93 octane tune
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Vinny

I think you need to add in to the poll above who has an Unleashed tune and who has the Livernois, and see which tune cools better, or maybe which one makes the blood race more . . .

I've loved cars since I was 5 years old. I would walk through parking lots when I was 12 years old and say "That's a Dodge Charger, it has a 383 engine"

'10 Ford Mustang GT
'14 GMC Acadia Denali
'05 Subaru Legacy GT
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Garage
Mine seems to be unpredictable as well. The heated seats started off ok but then only the bottom would be toasty. I took it back. No luck there. Got another question since we are inside the car. Is anyone's door trim molding under the window dented from resting your arm up there? Got a dent after a window repair. But the insist is from my arm. I barely ever rest my elbow up there but was curious if anyone else had it to? Thanks.

White Platinum | 93 Octane Unleashed tune | 401 A package | Ceramic Window Tint | LED's | Nav | Moonroof | Cooled Seats
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:36 PM

Until you guys brought it up, i didn't think about it, but yes, some days I feel it on the back, others I don't.

Not sure why though and have no intel to give!

But yes, i think it happens.

But "wet pants", what the heck is that?

Current Cars:
2017 Fusion Sport
Lightning blue, Nav, Moonroof, A/C seats 9/27/17
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Coupe
K&N FIPK Gen 2 (ordered $151.95 delivered, installed 5/29/05)
417.7rwhp/384.7rwtq
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Convertible
stock and no numbers right now

Previous Cars:
1979 Honda Accord (used), 1989 Mustang Coupe (new), 1989 Mustang GT Convertible (used), 1989 Mustang GT Coupe (used), 1999 Mustang GT Coupe (new), 2004 Mustang GT Coupe (new), 2001 SLK320 w/BVRC (used)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 PM

Garage
Once in a great while I think I get cool air from the back of the seat. Most of the time it only seems to come from the bottom, and even then, performance leaves something to be desired despite always using the high setting. There have been at least two occasions on longer trips where it stopped providing any noticeable cooling or air flow. Cycling the controls a few times got it back, but something seems off.

Seat warmers on the other hand...I might use high for a few moments on particulary cold mornings, but the low setting is plenty aside from that! Lots of heat from the bottom and back of the seat

And, yes, I've dented the soft trim under the window from resting my elbow there in my 2014 Ti. I'm trying to avoid that on this car...

2017 Fusion Sport in lightning blue
401A, moonroof, cooled seats, navigation, and driver assist

3M Color Stable 35 tint

Last edited by dlm1984; 05-26-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page